Is FiOS MoCA LAN speed limited to 100 Mbps (local network - not WAN to internet)?
robardin
Enthusiast - Level 3

I am getting conflicting information here, maybe someone can tell me if I'm doing or understanding something wrong.

I have a Quantum Gateway G11100 which is connected to my ONT via Ethernet for gigabit Internet.

For about 6 years, I have also been using the coax connection on the router to use MoCA to provide wired Ethernet to my basement home office and HT setup. I have the G100 connected to the ONT via coax (which was run to it from back when I had 100 Mbps FiOS). On the other end is an Actiontec WCB3000N "network extender".

Recently, with so many people in my house working from home now, I have a need for speeding up the LAN (intranet) connection from a few key rooms in my house to a NAS (Network Storage device) connected to my G1100.

A computer connected to the WCB3000N and doing a large file transfer gets a rate of about 11-12 MB/s, or 85-100 Mbps - consistent with its MoCA 1.1 configuration, which maxes at 175 Mbps (and loses some to length of coax cable, I imagine).

I just got an Actiontec ECB6200 to use in another room which has a coax line, which supports MoCA 2.0 which should get me up to 500 Mbps, but a large binary file transfer test shows it also going at the same 11-12 MB/s.

So, per advice in another thread on the Verizon Forums, I got a second ECB6200 and put the coax line to the ONT into that instead, connecting it to the G1100 via CAT6 Ethernet. I still get only an 11+ MB/s transfer rate.

If I can get a proper 25+ MB/s rate (or higher) going over MoCA I'll also upgrade the WCB3000N to the newer WCB6200Q which supports MoCA 2.0.

But I'm wondering if there is another reason I cannot get faster than 11-12 MB/s over MoCA now. Can the FiOS ONT not support this? I'm talking LAN intranet, just computers and devices all within my own house, not to the WAN internet (like downloading from a remote server).

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Is FiOS MoCA LAN speed limited to 100 Mbps (local network - not WAN to internet)?
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

Oh. You can buy a 1000Mbps Ethernet to USB 3.0 adapter for $20 on Amazon. Thank you for troubleshooting yourself.

View solution in original post

Re: Is FiOS MoCA LAN speed limited to 100 Mbps (local network - not WAN to internet)?
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

ECB6200 should communicate with G1100 with MoCA 2.0 and deliver speed up to 500Mbps. Can you go to LAN Coax Status on G1100's web GUI? https://[G1100 IP]/#/network/connections/5/lancoaxstats What's the speed showing there?

ECB6200 is not cost effective. For wired ethernet only, you should buy ECB5240M sold exclusively by Verizon for $55. You get three more ethernet ports.

ONT has nothing to do with your LAN MoCA.

You can upgrade your WCB3000N to WCB6200Q, but not advisable if you felt the WiFi speed is enough for the same reason for ECB6200.

robardin
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thanks for the quick and helpful reply!

I was looking for some kind of coax MoCA status on the G1100 - didn't find it on my own - so that link was helpful.

That link shows me a large grid of N/As. Even though I am currently using the MoCA ethernet adapter in my living room to my laptop right now.

0 Likes
robardin
Enthusiast - Level 3

Oh, this is probably because I removed the coax connection to the G1100 and put it to the ECB6200. There is nothing attached to the coax port on the G1100 any more.

I had tested that earlier and the speeds were the same as I'm getting now, I had changed it so the coax from the wall went to the ECB6200 and then to the G1100 via Ethernet per other posts here in the forum.

Not sure if I can get stats out of the ECB6200.

0 Likes
robardin
Enthusiast - Level 3

So, I reconnected the coaxial connection directly into the G1100 again and checked the status on it via the link you gave (which I cannot seem to navigate to via the menu).

It reads 641 from the router and 632 to "Device 1" which has to be the only MoCA client I have engaged right now. If that's in Mbps as the top of the screen says, that would be MoCA 2.0 speed.

And yet my binary file transfer test to my laptop is still topping out around 11+ MB/s which is 88-90 Mbps.

Is my laptop Ethernet port not Gigabit or something? The cable is CAT 5e.

0 Likes
robardin
Enthusiast - Level 3

Well it seems that my Dell laptop (despite not being all that old - like, 3 years old? 4 tops?) has a 10/100 Ethernet port. I dug through the hardware device info and finally found an "Advanced" panel for the ethernet driver that lets me select its speed from :  10 Mbps Full Duplex, 10 Mbps Half Duplex, 100 Full, 100 Half, or AUTO.

Looks like the problem is with my laptop for this test, argh.

0 Likes
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

Oh. You can buy a 1000Mbps Ethernet to USB 3.0 adapter for $20 on Amazon. Thank you for troubleshooting yourself.