Is Verizon FIOS killing trees
PlumTree
Enthusiast - Level 1

Since FIOS was installed in my front lawn, anout a year ago, it has killed my 20 year old beautiful Plum tree. Not sure why this is happening. Same thing happened to my opposite neighbor. I have also noticed this with other Plum trees in the area. 

Just curious if any one is experiencing this

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Is Verizon FIOS killing trees
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

When FiOS is installed for the first time, they have to run a fiber to the home.  In many areas, it is installed underground using a micro-trenching machine.  It's only a few inches deep.  While it's possible the path of the fiber cut a few surface roots, it's unlikely it damaged enough to hurt the tree.  The fiber itself is glass encased in high strength inert plastic material.  It doesn't harm anything.

In my area we've lots a lot of trees to the invasive ash-borer insect over the last few years.  Is it possible it has infect your area?  Or maybe some type of plum disease?  If it happened around the same time as the FiOS installs, it could just be an unlucky coincidence.  You should contact an arborist to find out what is actually going on with the trees.  Then you can explore the appropriate course of action.

View solution in original post

srfios1
Enthusiast - Level 2

We have a Fios underground access box in our yard (~ 2x3 feet), right next to a beautiful cherry blossom tree, and the tree is doing just fine.  I believe the box is at least 12" in the ground.

PlumTree
Enthusiast - Level 1

Good to know. May be just Plum trees then.

gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

When FiOS is installed for the first time, they have to run a fiber to the home.  In many areas, it is installed underground using a micro-trenching machine.  It's only a few inches deep.  While it's possible the path of the fiber cut a few surface roots, it's unlikely it damaged enough to hurt the tree.  The fiber itself is glass encased in high strength inert plastic material.  It doesn't harm anything.

In my area we've lots a lot of trees to the invasive ash-borer insect over the last few years.  Is it possible it has infect your area?  Or maybe some type of plum disease?  If it happened around the same time as the FiOS installs, it could just be an unlucky coincidence.  You should contact an arborist to find out what is actually going on with the trees.  Then you can explore the appropriate course of action.

hokie4life

Verizon is definitely killing trees.  Verizon buried cable from the junction box to my house 2 weeks ago and severed the surface roots of a 30 year old japanese maple.  The roots are clearly visible in soft amended soil.  They could have easily run the cable below the roots, or they could have selected a different path.  Cutting the surface roots within the tree canopy is a sure way to cause severe damage or kill a maple. 

I don't want to hear about right-of-ways, etc.  Its possible to lay cable without thoughtlessly destroying a mature, extremely expensive landscape specimen.   

My advice to any homeowner would be to monitor the verizon crew every second they are on your property.  The damage done to my tree shows thoughtlessness and just plan disregard for someone else's home.   

0 Likes
LawrenceC
Moderator Emeritus

As this thread is now over two years old, it will be locked in order to keep discussions current. If you have the same or a similar question/issue we invite you to start a new thread on the topic.

0 Likes