Re: Is Verizon going to acknowlege the problems with FIOS and Windows Vista
Techman28
Master - Level 1
0 Likes
Provider7
Contributor - Level 3

@JoeK wrote:

This problem started for me 4 months ago when I switched from Cablevision to FIOS.  Have it on 2 Desktops that are connected by ethernet and 2 laptops that connect wirelessly.

Hi JoeK,

Your problem is different than fiostvman's original post.  He's loosing his wireless connection.  When he plugs into his router, he has internet.   Your indicating your situation as no internet when plugged directly in to the router.  Unfortunately you don't give us much to go by.

For instance, does the internet ever work?  When you loose your internet on the computers which are directly connected, do you also loose the wireless computers?  Or do none of them work?  Help us help you here chief.

I would like you to re-read post 19 by Techman28 the next time you loose connectivity.  His goal is to see if you can access the router.   Try it when you have a connection so you can see what he's referring to.  After you try to address your router directly tell us what lights are lit up on the router.

0 Likes
fiostvman
Enthusiast - Level 3

Okay folks, I just changed my settings from public to private and restarted my computer.

I will let you know if it works.

0 Likes
fiostvman
Enthusiast - Level 3

Gang,

We might be on to something here. I switched my netwok sharing from  from public to private and it has been just over an hour now and my wireless hasn't dropped yet. Usually, my wireless

drops after a few minutes of me turning on my computer.

I am very excited about the possibilities right now.  I will keep you guys informed.

Message Edited by fiostvman on 02-03-2009 06:42 PM
0 Likes
fiostvman
Enthusiast - Level 3

3 1/2 hours later, my wireless signal has not dropped.  This has never happened in the 6 months I have had FIOS internet. 

I am still keeping my fingers crossed however this is the solution I have been waiting 6 months for.

0 Likes
Techman28
Master - Level 1
HURRAY!!!! Let us know if you run into any other problems
0 Likes
fiostvman
Enthusiast - Level 3

I don't want to count it as being solved yet until I have had about a week of wireless service that does not drop.

Its been only day 1 so far but it looks promising.

0 Likes
jkiv
Contributor - Level 1

@Provider7 wrote:

@JoeK wrote:

This problem started for me 4 months ago when I switched from Cablevision to FIOS.  Have it on 2 Desktops that are connected by ethernet and 2 laptops that connect wirelessly.

Hi JoeK,

Your problem is different than fiostvman's original post.  He's loosing his wireless connection.  When he plugs into his router, he has internet.   Your indicating your situation as no internet when plugged directly in to the router.  Unfortunately you don't give us much to go by....

I didn't go into detail, because I wasn't looking for assistance.  By problem, I was refering ONLY to the disappearing Globe Issue, not the loss of Internet connectivity.  I was simply pointing out that the 'Globe' isssue is seperate from any wireless connection issues he was having.  Perhaps I should have stated that more directly rather then saying "this problem".  While it has caused some annoyances, I am not aware of it directly causing loss of my internet connection.

0 Likes
Re: Is Verizon going to acknowledge the problems with FIOS and Windows Vista
mole
I have had ongoing problems getting my iMac connected wirelessly. I am afraid to say it has been working really well for almost a week. The last thing I tried was turning off the power to my external computer speakers. Could be the magnets in the speakers were somehow interfering. My best guess.
0 Likes
Re: Is Verizon going to acknowledge the problems with FIOS and Windows Vista
Provider7
Contributor - Level 3

Hi JoeK, Thanks for clearing that up.

@mole wrote:
I have had ongoing problems getting my iMac connected wirelessly. I am afraid to say it has been working really well for almost a week. The last thing I tried was turning off the power to my external computer speakers. Could be the magnets in the speakers were somehow interfering. My best guess.

Hi Mole, re: loosing connections with iMac:  There are a couple things you can try...First, Mac acknowledges issues and came up with a fix.  The fix is called Broadband Tuner 1.0....Note: Broadband Tuner 1.0 is not recommended for AirPort connections.  You can install this program and if it doesn't work, just uninstall it

There are a couple of other fixes that i've read helped mac users.  One thing you can try is take the router off of automatic and set the channel for "9"  The other thing i've read is setting the router for wireless "G" only and disable the other options.  To access the menu on the router: type 192.168.1.1 in your internet browser's address bar.  You will be prompted for a username:  admin  for the password, try:  password   or password1

Another thing you can try is to set Verizon's router to a bridged connection and use your own router behind the Verizon supplied one

0 Likes