Re: Is Verizon going to acknowlege the problems with FIOS and Windows Vista
marty99

So I am so fed up with this issue I am attempting to return my Actiontec router and cancel all Verizon Services into my home.  However, when I contacted Verizon for a return address, they send me an e-mail with a phone # to call ... long story short... wrong phone number for the issue and the prompt to my issue is a "line that is not longer serviced by Verizon".   These people are worthless.  No wonder Vista isn't working. 

Anyway, anyone know where I can return this Actiontec Router?   

0 Likes
fiostvman
Enthusiast - Level 3

@marty99 wrote:

So I am so fed up with this issue I am attempting to return my Actiontec router and cancel all Verizon Services into my home.  However, when I contacted Verizon for a return address, they send me an e-mail with a phone # to call ... long story short... wrong phone number for the issue and the prompt to my issue is a "line that is not longer serviced by Verizon".   These people are worthless.  No wonder Vista isn't working. 

Anyway, anyone know where I can return this Actiontec Router?   

Don't give  up hope.

As of now, I say you have three options

1. You can buy the Trendnet(like I did. See link in thread)  and it resolved my issues immediately.  The Trendnet works great with no more dropped signals.

2. Go buy another router

3.  Try the option DZWR suggested earlier.  I tried it(just to see if it would work and my Actiontech has not dropped a signal in two days). Not sure if its a permanent solution since other methods previously suggested(except #1 and 2)here usually work for a few days and then the dropped signals return.

Options 1 and 2 are surefire ways to fix the issue since Verizon will  not acknowledge they have a problem.

DZWR earlier suggestion

Message Edited by fiostvman on 03-25-2009 11:33 AM
0 Likes
DzWR
Contributor - Level 1

Thanks for giving that a shot -- Im still curious if it will fix the issue some people are having with Vista.  But in case you can't find the post (note, found out some versions of the firmware don't the options for System Settings):

-First and foremost, log into the router (website: '192.168.1.1' - username: 'admin' password: 'password' OR 'password1')

-At the top click Wireless Settings

-Go into basic security settings on the left and change the channel to 11 (yes, I know this doesn't work for all but please read on) and apply

-Now back on the left side menu choose advanced security settings, enter 802.11b/g Mode

---Honestly, most people should need G only by now, but choose what you need here (avoid mixed) and apply

-Go back onto the left menu and try advanced wireless settings again but this time choose "Other Advanced Wireless Options" at the bottom

-Change MTU to "manual" and enter in "1492" in the field it provides and apply

-Now at the top right go into advanced settings

-Click on the link for "System settings"

-In here UNCHECK the "Enable Logging" and "Low Capacity Notification" options and apply

0 Likes
Re: Is Verizon going to acknowledge the problems with FIOS and Windows Vista
fiostvman
Enthusiast - Level 3

Just doing an informal survey here for Windows Vista users of the Actiontech.Router

A few folks that were having consistent wireless drops(like myself) recently reported the problems  having been resolved and their globe being consistently on with no more wireless issues.

For those folks, can you list your current Actiontech firmware, Actiontech model and Version and what channel is your actiontech router on.

Also, for folks who never had problems with their actiontech can also list the same information

Here is my information

Actiontech Firmware: 4.0.16.1.56.0.10.11.6

Model Name: MI424-WR,

Hardware Version: D

Channel: 11

Thanks for participating.

Message Edited by fiostvman on 03-25-2009 04:00 PM
0 Likes
iheartfios123
Enthusiast - Level 3
I'll definitely post when I get back home.  I'm also curious to see what wireless card everyone has.  One of my friends has a Dell with Intelpro maybe? and it couldn't see my network no matter what we did... but I was fine.  And hers worked at Starbucks, etc..
0 Likes
mole
How do I determine what firmware version I have?
0 Likes
fiostvman
Enthusiast - Level 3

See DZWR's post above on  how to log on to your Actiontech Router's web interface.

Once you log, you should be able to easily find your current firmware.

0 Likes
fiostvman
Enthusiast - Level 3

@DzWR wrote:

Thanks for giving that a shot -- Im still curious if it will fix the issue some people are having with Vista.  -

-

Signal dropped on day 3.  Just like every other suggestion that has been posted in this thread, it only works for a few days.

Its now back to my trustly old "Trendnet" that has worked flawlessly for the past month. After all this, if you guys don't think the issue isn't the Actiontech, I don't know what else to tell you all.

0 Likes
Ichigo

Firstly, I would like to ask, what are you all talking about?

There is absolutely no issue between FiOS and Windows Vista. It's an issue with your hardware. Verizon is not going to own up to anything because there is nothing to own up to. 

I say this, and I've been using Verizon FiOS with TWO Pcs which are running Windows Vista, a laptop with Vista, one with XP/Arch Linux, and a Macbook all using the same (horrible) Actiontec Router. 

0 Likes
fiostvman
Enthusiast - Level 3

@Ichigo wrote:

Firstly, I would like to ask, what are you all talking about?

There is absolutely no issue between FiOS and Windows Vista. It's an issue with your hardware. Verizon is not going to own up to anything because there is nothing to own up to. 

I say this, and I've been using Verizon FiOS with TWO Pcs which are running Windows Vista, a laptop with Vista, one with XP/Arch Linux, and a Macbook all using the same (horrible) Actiontec Router. 

If you had taken the time to read this entire thread and the many many posts on various forums, you would realize that the problem is with the Actiontech.

I suggest you go back and re-read this thread. Not because you don't have a problem does not necessarily mean there isn't a problem.

Message Edited by fiostvman on 03-27-2009 06:25 AM
0 Likes