Re: Is Verizon going to acknowlege the problems with FIOS and Windows Vista
Director

Ichigo wrote:

"There is absolutely no issue between FiOS and Windows Vista. It's an issue with your hardware. Verizon is not going to own up to anything because there is nothing to own up to."

--------------------------------- 

You appear to be hundred per-cent wrong.  It is a Verizon issue.  The local (Verizon) installers and techs have narrowed one of the causes down to specific brands of computers running Vista and using the Actiontec router. 

Their fix is (similar to other posts) to disconnect the wireless on the Actiontec and connect a second (D-Link) wireless router to the Actiontec.

They have experienced this enough to realize there is a problem with the Verizon setup to come up with a successful temporary (I hope) fix.

As I mentioned in a previous post, the national Verizon techs, Actiontec techs and the techs of one of the specific computer brands involved, all have told me there is no problem.  In Verizon's case,  this directly  contradicts  what their local installers and techs have reported.  They know there is a problem, but appear to be a blip on the map when attempting to inform their higher ups????

If Verizon continues to keep thier heads in the sand, the real problem, what ever it is, will never be fixed.

As I also mentioned in an earlier post, this is the same type of customer service over the years, or lack their of, which made  twenty two percent of cable and internet customers on my block dump Comcast within a month of VIOS being available.

The Comcast/VIOS competition is fierce in my area, with both flooding print, radio and television with advertising.

If only they would place the same emphasis on their customer service.  For some of us cost of service isn't everything...overall service is.   Both of thier costumer/tech services are awful.

Message Edited by Director on 03-27-2009 06:49 AM
Message Edited by Director on 03-27-2009 06:49 AM
Message Edited by Director on 03-27-2009 06:50 AM
0 Likes
Re: Is Verizon going to acknowledge the problems with FIOS and Windows Vista
MoopMeep
Enthusiast - Level 3

Actiontech Firmware: 4.0.16.1.56.0.10.11.6

Model Name: MI424-WR,

Hardware Version: D

Channel: 11

Never had a problem with Vista. Using a Linksys wireless card with Broadcom chip.

Wife had a problem with her Mac, didn't seem to like Channel 0 which the router defaulted to. I changed it to 11 to get her working.

0 Likes
Re: Is Verizon going to acknowlege the problems with FIOS and Windows Vista
BlackBelt
Enthusiast - Level 1
If someone handed me an "Actiontech" router, I'd tell them to keep it.  First lesson is if you're gonna run your own network, don't use crappy equipment.  I don't care if they supply it or it is free.  It's a bottom rung maker and obviously a piece of crap.  I run 3 top of the line routers in my home network and it smokes.  No way, I'd let that hunk of junk get plugged into my beauties.
Message Edited by BlackBelt on 03-30-2009 01:35 PM
0 Likes
mosef

After reading many of the suggestions about how to fix this problem,especially from employees, I am shocked at how generous they are for you to solve the problem by spending your money to fix it!!    We should go out and buy new routers because the one supplied is defective in some way!    They should supply a different brand router when this problem arises.  The are supposed to service the equipment they supply and back it up.  This stuff is not free, it is part of the price charged.     Fix it or get something that works!! 

0 Likes
Director

Generosity  aside, one would think the Verizon employees who have read this very active thread would have common sense to make it a priority to please their new customers.

Instead,they choose to ignore it all, come up with useless suggestions and accept the bad publicity.  I initially found this thread through Google. 

{please keep your posts courteous}

Message Edited by KaLin on 03-31-2009 02:05 PM
0 Likes
Techman28
Master - Level 1

I want to advise everyone while we may not post your comments don't go unnoticed. We have some issues that need to be resolved. While one thing might not work it may for another person. Now that being said I know that there is an issue with the wireless portion of the router to keep it staying connected with Vista users.

I will have a poll posted within the next 2 days...I want to get an idea of how many people have this issue. I know this thread is 10 pages long but multiple users have posted more than once.

Now I value Constructive criticism please refrain from belittling others for their suggestions if something doesn't work by all means say that in a constructive way.

0 Likes
mole
Don't forget. There are those of us who are Mac users who are also having wireless issue.
0 Likes
Techman28
Master - Level 1

Mole,

is the key not being saved or is it droping signal as well? what's going on there...I didn't include mac's in this one since the thread mainly is about vista.

I would like everyone to participate in the poll located on the main page of Forums.verizon.com it will be on the right hand side please click on the link that says vote and place your vote.

0 Likes
SamRay
Enthusiast - Level 2
I think the poll should include a choice for "I don't know" or "I have not tried" or something such as that. If someone has not tried to use a wireless connection then they will of course say no, even if it would not work when they tried. So far, all responses have been that there is no problem, but that could be misleading. That is why I don't like polls.
0 Likes
fiostvman
Enthusiast - Level 3

Techman,

I am not sure what purpose this poll will serve. As the OP in this thread, if you do a quick search here, over by Broadband Reports(DSL Reports) and many other websites, this is a well documented issue that has propped up for over a year now.  As my initial post indicated, my wireless signal started dropping on day 1 of my install.

I have been reading about similar problems on DSL reports months before I signed up for service.

Solution is simple. It is time for Verizon to admit there is a problem  with the Router and/or with its firmware and work with the makers of the Actiontech Router to find a PERMANENT SOLUTION. Another point to make is, that it is a major issue even though it does not affect everyone.

I went through it months before coming on here. Can't imagine how many more thousands of Vista users having this problem also. 

. People who use alternative routers such Netgear, Dlink, Trendnet do not report these problems.

Message Edited by fiostvman on 03-31-2009 05:33 PM
0 Likes