Re: Is Verizon going to acknowlege the problems with FIOS and Windows Vista
AlphaGeek

I have read this whole thread and saw no mention of anyone entertaining the possibility that individual routers are faulty. This likelihood that this is responsible is strongly supported by the fact that replacing the router in most cases solves the problem, and that not all routers by a Actiontech appear to manifest this problem.

I have used and owned many, many wifi routers over the years and if there is one thing that distinguishes this particular piece of hardware is how unreliable many of them can be. Many are faulty right out of the box, many work fine for a period and then become unreliable. I would venture that close to 10% are faulty right out of the box and another 10% fail or become intermittently functional within one year of operation.

And the most common symptom of failure? Connections that degrade or drop over time and that require a router cold reboot to fix.

0 Likes
fiostvman
Enthusiast - Level 3
I have tried everything except changing the router. I will call over the weekend to have them send me a new router. Hopefully this is fix the issue permanently. BTW, what will  Verizon do with my old router?  Will they try to fix it and give it to another customer?
Message Edited by fiostvman on 04-23-2009 01:01 PM
0 Likes
NoahsMyBro

I think I've solved the wireless problems on my LAN. Hopefully my solution might help at least one other person out there.

As I wrote previously, I've got 4 laptops in my home, between my own and my company's. Of the 4, one is an Asus with an internal Linksys wireless card. The other 3 are all Dells, all with internal Dell (Broadcom-based) wireless cards. All 4 laptops run Windows XP,either SP2 or SP3.

I tried all of the usual suggestions to remedy the problem, all futile. I then called Verizon Tech Support last night, and was instructed again to try everything I'd already tried - changing channels, resetting the router, applying the most current wireless driver, etc... Strangely to me, my signal strength was never a problem. BUT, the connection would constantly fail, and then reconnect, sometimes within 5 seconds or so.

My Solution?

I configured the laptop to use Windows' wireless software instead of Dell's. So far I've tried this on two of the three Dell laptops, and both seem to work consistently now, trouble-free.

If any Vz tech agents read this, you ought to add this to your internal KB so your phone reps can offer it to callers. It certainly doesn't hurt to try, and doesn't take very long to attempt; doesn't even require a reboot.

-- Steve

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

@NoahsMyBro wrote:

My Solution?

I configured the laptop to use Windows' wireless software instead of Dell's. So far I've tried this on two of the three Dell laptops, and both seem to work consistently now, trouble-free.

-- Steve

Interesting.

I have had my Actiontec for about 8 to 10 months, never had a wireless signal strength or connection problem except after I  restored my Toshiba laptop back to the orignial Windows system as it was when I bought it. After that, I did experience some connection issues, eventually I downloaded the most current drivers for the wireless adapter, and I have not had any connection problems since then.

Keller, TX 76248

0 Likes
Re: Is Verizon going to acknowledge the problems with FIOS and Windows Vista
Director

After two months and hours on the phone moving up the Verizon "not our problem attitude"  hierarchy ladder,  I finally had an upper level tech acknowledge the Actiontec erratic performance.  He fully admits the problem and indicates adding another manufacturers router piggy backed to the Actiontec will solve the problem in most cases.  They are testing other routers, but a decision as to how to address and satisfy the customer is a long way off.

It appears they will no longer supply (at their cost) an additional router.  It will be up to the induvidual customer, as many have, to purchase and add the second router and hope this works..

They have chosen to let the individual customer spend hours in front of their computers and on the phone with their tech services, rather than have their techs "tell it like it is."  My only reason for posting this is the hope that those potential customers, who might stumble onto this forum, are fore warned and to look else where for a fiber or cable provider.

Message Edited by Director on 04-25-2009 06:29 AM
0 Likes
mole
I tried to get a new router. Stonewalled. Threatened to take my business back to Cox where I never had wireless problems. Verizon rep said " see ya".
0 Likes
Director

Mole wrote:

I tried to get a new router. Stonewalled. Threatened to take my business back to Cox where I never had wireless problems. Verizon

rep said " see ya".

Director wrote: 

Originally had Verizon DSL for internet and Comcast for cable..  I had no problems with DSL other than it is slower than FIOS.

At this point, I will not pay for a another router.  If the piggy backed D-Link gives me any more trouble I will be forced to switch to Comcast who I thought had the worst customer service known to man.  Pehaps it is a tie with Verizon dropping quickly.  Commercials non stop in all media for both with service lacking.  The word is getting around.  Twenty two per cent of the houses on my block switched  from Comcast to FIOS in the first month FIOS became available.  One backed out after the cable was laid (underground) to their house and it appears two others are switching back to Comcast if FIOS does not live up to their promise.

0 Likes
fiostvman
Enthusiast - Level 3

As discussed earlier, I tried all the suggestions here and none worked. Only thing i had not done was use to replace the Actiontech router with another Actiontech router.

I called Verizon yesterday(Monday) and by Tuesday afternoon, a new Actiontech Router was at my front door. That's service for you. They sent me another Rev D version.

I disconnnected the old router and attached the new one.  So far, looking good. Have not dropped a wirelss signal all evening and my globe is always on.   I am trying to keep my excitement in check since this is only day 1.

I will monitor it for about a week or so to see if I get any dropped signals.  If it eventually works, that would be great. However, I still plan on hooking up back my Trendnet since it is wireless N versus wireless G in the Actiontech. Noticeable speed difference while browsing.  With the Trendent Wireless N, pages pop up instantaneously. With the Actiontech wireless G, slight lag when you click on a link.

Message Edited by fiostvman on 04-28-2009 10:04 PM
Message Edited by fiostvman on 04-28-2009 10:05 PM
0 Likes
fiostvman
Enthusiast - Level 3

It is now day 4 since I installed the "new" Actiontech Router  - Rev D and I have not dropped any signals and the globe has been on all the time now.

As per this thread, everything pointed in the direction of  my original Actiontech Router  being the problem(and not Vista).  I will carefully monitor things for an additional week and if everything continues to be good, then, I will return the old router to Verizon.

So far, day 4 and it looks promising.

Message Edited by fiostvman on 05-01-2009 11:07 AM
0 Likes
fiostvman
Enthusiast - Level 3

{word filter avoidance} I spoke too soon.  Later on on day 4 and  on day 5, signals began dropping again. I am so disappointed. The thing that sucks also is that when the signal drops, the only way for me to reestablish a connection is either by rebooting the router or rebooting my laptop.

I am not going to deal withh this anyone. I give up.

I am just going to go back to using my Trendnet Signal Booaster(Wireless Access Device) and turn off the wireless signals on the Actiontech. This is the only solution for me that has worked 100% of the time and gives me the added booast of Wireless N  coverage.

Thanks for all who tried to help

Message Edited by ElizabethS on 05-02-2009 03:07 PM
0 Likes