Is anyone using the wireless security cam Hawking HNC290G? I need help with email alarm notice.
k5esx1
I have 2 of these cams.   I get video perfectly from both.  They are supposed to send me an email if they detect motion or if I ask for a "snap-shot".  Email never happens.  I talked to the Hawking tech support and learned that they use Port 25 with authentication to send email.  I also learned the Verizon FIOS may block Port 25.  I am asking if anyone out there knows if Verizon blocks Port 25 or if anyone is having success receiving email from this cam or any other cam that promises an email notice.  It is possible that both cams are defective, but that seems unlikely to me.  TIA,  Mike
0 Likes
Re: Is anyone using the wireless security cam Hawking HNC290G? I need help with email alarm notice.
prisaz
Legend

@k5esx wrote:
I have 2 of these cams. I get video perfectly from both. They are supposed to send me an email if they detect motion or if I ask for a "snap-shot". Email never happens. I talked to the Hawking tech support and learned that they use Port 25 with authentication to send email. I also learned the Verizon FIOS may block Port 25. I am asking if anyone out there knows if Verizon blocks Port 25 or if anyone is having success receiving email from this cam or any other cam that promises an email notice. It is possible that both cams are defective, but that seems unlikely to me. TIA, Mike

Verizon does block inbound SMTP port 25 that would be used if you were running a mail server. But outbound port 25 would be needed for SMTP that allows outgoing mail. I would check and see if your webcam application does authenticated outbound mail. Be sure that the webcam application has the correct mail server, username and password. Also see if it is sending login in encrypted or clear text.Verizon SMTP server require you to authenticate when sending outbound mail. SMTP port 25 would require you to send mail to outgoing.verizon.net with username and password. Unless the webcams use someone elses SMTP server.

Message Edited by prisaz on 02-15-2009 05:22 PM
0 Likes
Re: Is anyone using the wireless security cam Hawking HNC290G? I need help with email alarm notice.
k5esx1
Thanks, prisaz.   The cam's setup requires user id and password for authentication.  I have it set up exactly like my Outlook 2000 application on my PC.  The cam connects wirelessly to the Actiontec MI424WR.   But, no joy...no email.  I wish I could "see" if the cam really trys to send an email.  If it isn't sending, I can't blame Verizon for port blocking.  When the cam should be sending an email nothing at all happens.  As slow as its little internal processor is, I think there should be a pause or delay for the email to be composed and sent.  Rather, the screen refreahes and no email is hatched.  Of course, the Hawking CSRs on chat or telephone say its ISP problem... it just can't be them or their product.   I'm screwed in the middle.  Thanks again.  Mike.
0 Likes