Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Have a phone you love? Get up to $500 when you bring your phone.

Is cable connection needed to Fios Quantam router?

SOLVED
SomersetSierra
Copper Contributor
Copper Contributor

Is cable connection needed to Fios Quantam router?

Message 1 of 5
(3,335 Views)

I recently began permanantly running the ethernet and coaxial in my house and have some questions about Fios in particular. Thank you

-Are both coaxial and ethernet connections needed to the router? Any benefit of having both?

-When I disconnect my ethernet wire from my router, one of the ligts on the front of the router( top light)turns red. Does this mean there is a problem with the coaxial connection?

-My Fios kit came with one larger cable box and one smaller cable box that I will use in the bedroom. The larger box is not hooked up yet, and when I tried to setup the smaller box in the bedroom it would not work. I had coaxial and ethernet hooked up to the box, and the screen says that the media server could not be found

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
CRobGauth
Platinum Contributor III Platinum Contributor III
Platinum Contributor III

Re: Is cable connection needed to Fios Quantam router?

Message 4 of 5
(3,307 Views)

In your situation, internet is provided via Ethernet to router.

Coax from not provides TV signal.

Router then takes Internet data and provides via coax to VMS (large box) for on demand.

Guide data is provided to both boxes.

Small box (IPC) does not have a tuner. It uses a tuner from VMS.

So you have to hook up VMS first before IPC.

If a forum member gives an answer you like, give them the Kudos they deserve. If a member gives you the answer to your question, mark the answer as Accepted Solution so others can see the solution to the problem.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
hlppls
Silver Contributor I
Silver Contributor I

Message 2 of 5
(3,328 Views)

You answer depends on a couple things. Your ONT and your internet speed. Some ONT's only do internet via cat 5 and some do moca or ethernet. If you internet speed is over 75 meg they install your internet over ethernet. If you have any cable box other than a dct, then you will have a coax line to the router even if your internet is over ethernet. Cable boxes use moca for services like guide data, widgets and video on demand. Sounds like you are ethernet for data to the router. Works fine either way.

SomersetSierra
Copper Contributor
Copper Contributor

Message 3 of 5
(3,323 Views)

Yes, my speeds are 100/100, actually 95/70 tested, and wireless is very low, at 35/15. Aside from an obvious wireless issue, it sounds like I need both coaxial and ethernet. If I have this correct the boxes use the coaxial for certain data which  has to be connected to the router to get, and the ethernet id providing the internet? So, if I disconnect the ethernet from the router the coaxial will not work to provide internet?

CRobGauth
Platinum Contributor III Platinum Contributor III
Platinum Contributor III

Message 4 of 5
(3,308 Views)

In your situation, internet is provided via Ethernet to router.

Coax from not provides TV signal.

Router then takes Internet data and provides via coax to VMS (large box) for on demand.

Guide data is provided to both boxes.

Small box (IPC) does not have a tuner. It uses a tuner from VMS.

So you have to hook up VMS first before IPC.

If a forum member gives an answer you like, give them the Kudos they deserve. If a member gives you the answer to your question, mark the answer as Accepted Solution so others can see the solution to the problem.

View solution in original post

SomersetSierra
Copper Contributor
Copper Contributor

Message 5 of 5
(3,302 Views)

Thank you very much, perfectly clears things up

How-To Videos

The following videos were produced by users like you!

Videos are subject to the Verizon Fios Community Terms of Service and User Guidelines and contains content that is not created by Verizon.
Have a spare Fios-G1100?Learn how to bridge it into your network
Get Started

Covid19

Browse Categories
Categories:
Verizon Troubleshooters
Unable to find your answer here? Try searching Verizon Troubleshooters for more options.
Modal Dialogue Title