Is it against terms and services to run a private file server to access files at school?
iflymyhelishigh

Hi guys. I'm looking to set up a server in my home for accessing my files at school. Would this be against terms and services if I were to set up port fowarding to my server and used a DNS server to have a url like

http://www.example.com/

as long as I wasn't bringing in ridiculous amounts of traffic (which I won't)

Also, Verizon assigns static IPs, right?

0 Likes
Re: Is it against terms and services to run a private file server to access files at school?
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

@iflymyhelishigh wrote:

Hi guys. I'm looking to set up a server in my home for accessing my files at school. Would this be against terms and services if I were to set up port fowarding to my server and used a DNS server to have a url like

http://www.example.com/

as long as I wasn't bringing in ridiculous amounts of traffic (which I won't)

While it is against the TOS to run a server on a home account, I am not sure if they are going to enforce it.

@iflymyhelishigh wrote:

Also, Verizon assigns static IPs, right?

For business accounts only (All other accounts are PPPoE OR DHCP - depending on where you live, and maybe other factors).

0 Likes
Re: Is it against terms and services to run a private file server to access files at school?
spacedebris
Master - Level 2

for personal use, it would be fine. but if it is publicly accessible. meaning that it can be found by searching the internet. then it would be against the TOS for residential accts

Static IP's are only available for business accts. not residential. And it is expensive. Last I heard a static IP starts somewhere around $150 per month.

jumpin68ny
Master - Level 2

You could think about running a Dynamic DNS service which is suported in the Actiontec router.  I use dyndns without any issues.  For example me.getmyip.com would always connect to my home verizon Fios service, regardless of the Ip address.

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@jumpin68ny wrote:

You could think about running a Dynamic DNS service which is suported in the Actiontec router.  I use dyndns without any issues.  For example me.getmyip.com would always connect to my home verizon Fios service, regardless of the Ip address.

Are you saying the Actiontec router itself supports DynDNS?

How is that done? and does the same support work for the Westell 9100oem router?

I have always used DynDns by installing the workstation client on one or more of the internal machines.

0 Likes