Switch Account

Is it against terms and services to run a private file server to access files at school?

Is it against terms and services to run a private file server to access files at school?

Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Message 1 of 5
(5,862 Views)

Hi guys. I'm looking to set up a server in my home for accessing my files at school. Would this be against terms and services if I were to set up port fowarding to my server and used a DNS server to have a url like

http://www.example.com/

as long as I wasn't bringing in ridiculous amounts of traffic (which I won't)

Also, Verizon assigns static IPs, right?

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Platinum Contributor III Platinum Contributor III
Platinum Contributor III

Re: Is it against terms and services to run a private file server to access files at school?

Message 2 of 5
(5,853 Views)

@iflymyhelishigh wrote:

Hi guys. I'm looking to set up a server in my home for accessing my files at school. Would this be against terms and services if I were to set up port fowarding to my server and used a DNS server to have a url like

http://www.example.com/

as long as I wasn't bringing in ridiculous amounts of traffic (which I won't)

While it is against the TOS to run a server on a home account, I am not sure if they are going to enforce it.

@iflymyhelishigh wrote:

Also, Verizon assigns static IPs, right?

For business accounts only (All other accounts are PPPoE OR DHCP - depending on where you live, and maybe other factors).

If you are the original poster (OP) and your issue is solved, please remember to click the "Solution?" button so that others can more easily find it. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the "Kudos" button.

Highlighted
Gold Contributor V
Gold Contributor V

Re: Is it against terms and services to run a private file server to access files at school?

Message 3 of 5
(5,851 Views)

for personal use, it would be fine. but if it is publicly accessible. meaning that it can be found by searching the internet. then it would be against the TOS for residential accts

Static IP's are only available for business accts. not residential. And it is expensive. Last I heard a static IP starts somewhere around $150 per month.

====================================================================================

Error exists between keyboard and chair.
Highlighted
Gold Contributor VII
Gold Contributor VII

Message 4 of 5
(5,842 Views)

You could think about running a Dynamic DNS service which is suported in the Actiontec router.  I use dyndns without any issues.  For example me.getmyip.com would always connect to my home verizon Fios service, regardless of the Ip address.

Highlighted
Gold Contributor VII Gold Contributor VII
Gold Contributor VII

Message 5 of 5
(5,792 Views)

@jumpin68ny wrote:

You could think about running a Dynamic DNS service which is suported in the Actiontec router.  I use dyndns without any issues.  For example me.getmyip.com would always connect to my home verizon Fios service, regardless of the Ip address.

Are you saying the Actiontec router itself supports DynDNS?

How is that done? and does the same support work for the Westell 9100oem router?

I have always used DynDns by installing the workstation client on one or more of the internal machines.

How-To Videos

The following videos were produced by users like you!

Videos are subject to the Verizon Fios Community Terms of Service and User Guidelines and contains content that is not created by Verizon.
Covid19

Browse Categories
Categories:
Verizon Troubleshooters
Unable to find your answer here? Try searching Verizon Troubleshooters for more options.