Re: Is it me or youtube being slow at times?
griffin10

Me too. I'm in Northern Mass. and have the same issue even though I have 50/25. I purchased the FIOS/Actiontec wireless N router from Verizon to see if there would be an improvement, but there wasn't. I've tried configuring the router to use Google's DNS, but this has not helped. YouTube is unusable as things stand now.

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

This might be a good solution for folks.

Someone from Reddit figured out the solution to remove the whole Google Peering or the whole intentional bandwidth throttling by Google.

http://www.reddit.com/r/technology/comments/13kmvd/have_time_warner_internet_but_can_barely_stream/
sort by: Top

Basically, you need to block out the IP range that causes the bandwidth throttling, while you're trying to watch a Youtube under any video bitrate. I've tested this out and it works really well, utilizes my maximum bandwidth without any buffer.

Block IP from 206.111.0.0 to 206.111.255.255 within your Inbound Rules of your Windows Firewall. This link will help you proceed through the process on how to block the IP ranges: »http://www.studyblog.net/2011/10/block-ip-address-or-ip-range-in-windows-server-2008-by-windows-fire...
Under step 9, where you input the IPs, it's best to select "This IP address range" for easier inputs of your IP range.

Once you set this all up, you'll be able to watch any Youtube video with your glorious speeds

0 Likes
jaroth
Enthusiast - Level 1

Any idea how to do this on the actiontec router? I don't have internal firewalls nor do I plan to turn on the windows firewall on all my devices.

0 Likes
Fish71

Just wanted to add myself to this list.   We watch Sourcefed and can't even stream 360p without constant buffering problems.  This just started happening a few weeks ago.

0 Likes
jarg
Enthusiast - Level 2
you can find a guide to configure firewall rules on the actiontec. despite what people say its not really a bad box, just needs a little love. I recently changed my dns servers on the actiontec and it seems to have fixed the issue. google dns speedtest and find link that says grc or gibson research dns benchmark. it told me to use a different set of verizon dns servers. google dns was the slowest
Hubrisnxs
Legend

that' sbeen my experience,  when google dns came out, I thought Eureka!  but when I used them it was SUPER slow, so I use the old 4.2.2.1 and 4.2.2.2 and the open DNS's   they work well  

0 Likes
ichapod

Add me to the list. I have verizon fios in NJ and have had it for a year. Up until last month youtube worked great but now it is completely unusable.

A few points:

- At work we have comcast and youtube HD streams just fine.

- My verizon iphone 3g streams 240p just fine

- I can't stream 240p,360p,720p,1080p youtube videos at all using my verizon fios directly connected to router. This happens to all my devices (3 laptops, ipad, iphone when connected to wifi).

- I have contaced verizon support about it, they insisted it was youtubes fault and somehow to get in contact with them (when I can't).

- Only my verizon fios internet does this, every other connection I have tried besides this youtube works just fine.

- All other video sites work just fine (vimeo and etc) it is only youtube that is doing this.

- I have been experiencing this for almost a month now and I am about to give up and jump ship to comcast.

There are no solutions that I have gathered from my search for a fix. I have tried google dns, I have tried to block specific IPs that force it stream directly from google, I have tried the CA trick at the beginning of the URL, emptying my cache and blah blah. Nothing works.

At first I thought this might be a youtube issue (since their new design/features have been terrible) but after using other ISPs other than Verizon I am starting to think it's something with them (throttling youtube or something?). My phone service is with verizon and I can stream videos just fine on my 3g... something is really wrong and no one seems to know what is going on 😞

0 Likes
jarg
Enthusiast - Level 2
from what i have gathered its a specific router that links verizon's network to google's. some fios customers will not have any issues but i am thinking they are coming from florida. those of us north of virgina all seem to have the same problematic IP address in trace rt. Also before you start running trace rt, use the network tab of the resource monitor when you try to watch a YouTube video and use the specific IP address: use that IP for your testing. Another thought, Verizon may be trying to shovel way more data into this single link than is possible and some sort of intrusion system is being triggered that thinks our legitimate traffic is a denial of service.
0 Likes
jarg
Enthusiast - Level 2
More results... 173.194.0.0 & 74.125.0.0
These seem to be the slowest links.
On the 208.117.0.0 network 1080 videos fully load instantly.
Going to see what I can do about blocking those first two ranges. My biggest concern is that Arin says that Google owns the 173.194 & 74.125 networks but YouTube owns the 208.117, so blanket blocking may disrupt other Google services
0 Likes
bl-91

Same here on FIOS in the Philadelphia area.

Youtube has been terrible for the past week or so.  Can't really watch anything more than 360p, which is garbage.

Sites like Vimeo work perfectly, even in HD.

0 Likes