Re: Is it me or youtube being slow at times?
Vigz
Contributor - Level 1

The firewall tweak as well as the DNS change seem to work sporadicaly in the fact that only some videos will buffer faster than others. I just wish Verizon can release a new FW update for the router so it fix this issue (as well as support WPS!)

0 Likes
mankut92
Enthusiast - Level 1

I wanted to provide an update to help others.  I tried updating the router firewall to block IP ranges as well as changing the DNS to Googles.  Neither solution worked.

I spoke with a Verizon FiOS agent who told me that the solution was to update the DNS servers on the router itself to new numbers which they provided.

1. Login to router page.
  2. Click on Network and select Broadband Connection (Coax) to the right and select Edit.
  3. Click on Settings.
  4. Find the Internet connection halfway down and choose DNS, then use xx.xx.xx.xx and xx.xx.xx.xx
  5. Please save it and reboot the router.

I excluded the DNS servers as they are dependent upon  your geographical location and will vary based on this.  I will do this when I get home and see if it worked.  The agent I spoke with assured me it would work as they have personally helped many other customers with the same issue in the past.  I suggest you call and see what server addresses you get.

Thanks for reading.

andrewjs18
Enthusiast - Level 1

Still slow as dirt here near Philadelphia.  Verizon needs to get this fixed.

I cannot believe I buffer videos slower than dial-up on a 50/25 fios line...

0 Likes
mankut92
Enthusiast - Level 1

andrewsjs18,

I have seen much faster YouTube loading times since yesterday's call with the tech where they gave me two new DNS servers to use.  I am also in the Philadelphia area.  I suggest you try to call and see if they can give you new servers as well.

The FiOS router (MI424WR) I had was configured to automatically choose DNS servers.  This means that every time the power is cycled I could get new ones assigned.  They instructed me to change it to specify two which they told me would help with the YouTube streaming speeds.

It's worth a try.  It worked for me.

Thanks and good luck.

0 Likes
andrewjs18
Enthusiast - Level 1

I don't even use Verizon's DNS - I use openDNS.

0 Likes
WhoDatPopcorn

Just had them change my DNS settings and still having this problem 😕

0 Likes
WhoDatPopcorn

That was yesterday. Today seems to be going pretty well.

0 Likes
bracohen

I have very slow loads and sometimes the videos never load. On a 75/35 connection. Youtube was smooth and would load HD in seconds on my Cox which was only a 20/3 or worse line. Pretty frustrating that I will be having to jump through hoops to go from lousy to slightly less lousy...

0 Likes
Ginseng1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Same here. I am using OpenDNS and YouTube videos load very, very slowly. Sometimes they just freeze for, well, until I get bored and click off. It's that bad. Vimeo, however, loads pretty well for the most part.

0 Likes
Re: Is Verizon Fios throttling down Youtube streaming?
intranuclear

I have been having exctly the same thoughts. Seems like for the last 3 or more months YouTube streaming is artificially throttled. Everyone else with other carriers including the much hated Comcast people are having no problems. Also, no p[roblems from work or elsewhere. I don't know what Verizon is upt to.

0 Likes