Re: Youtube speeds are unacceptable for the money I'm paying
Hubrisnxs
Legend

@winged0ne wrote:

I've seen there are a few posts about this but I feel Verizon will not respond until more of us demand their attention for this problem. I've changed DNS, reboot router, changed channels, and tried many other "fixes" but nothing works. Does Verizon browse this forum? 

EDIT: Could this possibly be youtube's fault? I've talked to friends in the same area with different ISP who have the same experience.

Yes. 

See the article linked earlier, 

Why Is Everyone Having YouTube Streaming Issues? - Problems ...

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

@winged0ne wrote:

I've seen there are a few posts about this but I feel Verizon will not respond until more of us demand their attention for this problem. I've changed DNS, reboot router, changed channels, and tried many other "fixes" but nothing works. Does Verizon browse this forum? 

EDIT: Could this possibly be youtube's fault? I've talked to friends in the same area with different ISP who have the same experience.

Most of us know it's not Verizon's fault, at least in the tech community. As someone posted, short and sweet on another forum I regular...

"If all sites are slow, it's probably the ISP

If it's just one site, it's probably the site"

That's pretty much the rule of thumb to just about the entire Internet. As it's only YouTube, the problem is quite likely them. Considering it happens on many ISPs and in various regions, folks should not be dumping the blame on Verizon "just because." Verizon has no need to hound a company such as Google for poor performing service since it's not their job. Google is a customer to Verizon, too, and they, the same as how you're responsible for your own home network, are responsible for their network. If their network is slow, all Verizon can do is shrug it off and continue supplying what Google pays them for. Meanwhile the general populus around here insists on punishing Verizon because they need someone to blame for a free service. That someone is usually the person taking the money in exchange for a pipe to reach the free service.

BobMc4
Enthusiast - Level 2

All I know is I have tested Youtube all but simultaneously connecting via four different methods (Cablevision, FIOS, 4G and a VPN connection to work), and only FIOS had a problem. Tested it regularly for a week while I concurrently had Cablevision and FIOS, Cablevision was always smooth as silk, viewing the same video on FIOS would stall 20 times in 2 minutes.  And still, for well over a month, Youtube is unusable on FIOS from my location. Whether Verizon isn't paying for enough bandwidth or Google isn't providing enough I don't know. I am going to think it's Verizon's fault no matter what some Gold Contributor sycophant says, if something is problem free with three other providers, why wouldn't I?

It is enough to get me to switch back to Cablevision, Verizon should care and fix it.

0 Likes
Markjoey

They have been throttling YouTube for a while in a bid to 'encourage' users to upgrade to their Infinity package, which I would upgrade to if they did not also force you to upgrade your TV package at the same time...If you want to avoid it you can visit youtube.be and enter the site there, when I do that I do not get throttled and can view videos normally. You would think there would be some sort of law preventing them from blackmailing us into spending more money eh?....

0 Likes
sumit18579

Did anyone notice that there is no buffering while the ad is running prior to the video even if the ad is as long as 25 seconds. The buffering always happens after the video starts. If this was a verizon/youtube peering/capacity issue shouldn't we see buffering in the ads as well ? 

0 Likes
Fix Youtube buffering problem
springman07

This is ridiculous!

0 Likes
avilner

I had Cox (RI) until 3/14/2013. And in the 10+ years I had them, I had NOT ONE issue with youtube. I switched to  FIOS, at 75/25 (surely beats 15/5 on Cox), and youtube is NOT USABLE!!!

My 3g/4g phones work better showing youtube than FIOS.

I can honestly blame Verizon. I spoke with tech support 3 times. I SHOWED THEM (!) via remote session, how youtube just freezes. They see it. They confirm it. They say, "do you get 75/25?" Yes, I do! So, their responsibility stops there. They deliver on the speed promise, but not on the satisfaction.

Verizon, I HOPE YOU ARE READING THIS!

I was assured that the issue is in "my home wiring". Seriously????

0 Likes
Re: Is it me or youtube being slow at times?
Vigz
Contributor - Level 1
Was the DNS server that mankut92 posted removed? Does anyone know what the server addresses are?
0 Likes
shadezero
Enthusiast - Level 3

ok so I been having this problem for the past few weeks I would notice that I would have to pause a video and go back just to make the video load faster . So I tried to watch on my laptop and BOOM I got 20,000 kbps so I don't know if this issue is with the firmware or just the problem with youtube or Verizon itself. on my desktop i get 256 to 1000 kbps

0 Likes
docbrody

I am expereincing the same problem.

Of course I assumed the problem was with YouTube and not Verizon FIOS, but after a lot of testing on other ISPs (Comcast, Att Wireless) from the same hardware and from many different hardware devices, I've found that YouTube performance is only effected on FIOS.  It is extremely frustrating.

It leads one to believe that FIOS is deleberatly throttling YouTube.

0 Likes