Re: Is it me or youtube being slow at times?
NeilQ80

When the hell is Verizon going to resolve this?

It's been around 3 months for me now and I can't even stream more than 30seconds of a 240p video without it freezing.

0 Likes
pan0k

My Amazon Prime on my PS3 is also fall into the slowliness land as well, but not as bad as youtube.  On Amazon Prime, I can't watch anything in HD only in SD (got about 2 bars on the player) at the specific time (8PM to 12AM EST).  I have the 150/65 plan.  Not worth the money so far.

0 Likes
shadezero
Enthusiast - Level 3

ok found a work around for this 

go to http://www.proxfree.com/youtube-proxy.php

and paste the youtube url and finally the video streams

0 Likes
WhoCares12341

Oh wow, the above proxy work around works.  

I'm in Virginia, I pay for 75/35 internet, and yet I can't even load a youtube video at 240p without buffering. This has been going on for months, but the last month or so it's gotten ridiculous, to where Youtube is just unwatchable.

I used the above youtube proxy and I loaded the same video in 1080p without a moment of buffering. 

Someone that's more knowledgeble, what does this imply, and is there a way to make this into a more permanent fix that doesn't force me to jump through hoops just to watch a video?

0 Likes
Phoenixx1218

Above proxy definately works. 3 1080p streams playing with no lag.(if only youtube worked like that normally). It's been killing me that I can't watch youtube so I scoured the internet and found something that helps with SOME videos load. http://mitchribar.com/2013/02/time-warner-cable-sucks-for-youtube-twitchtv/  is a great multi-platform guide to block some ip address which in turn makes some videos take about 2 seconds to start then load at full speed(you can also block the address' at your router config page(192.168.1.1) just search how to use advanced filtering if youre unsure how to do this .

In addition to the ip block, using someone else's DNS seems to help. 

• Open DNS-
  • Google-  

A more relyable unsatisfying and often not free solution is to get a VPN or Private Proxy.

I have noticed that at a friend of mines house who has FIOS 150/75 I can play videos on my computer as well as his just fine, however, they only load at like 9 mbps, but it is enough.

Has anyone tried to fix this by installing third party firmware on your router? (DD-WRT, Tomato) or for that matter using your own compaatible router?

VERIZON after using DSL for years and having hardly being able to play online games two years ago I finally got FIOS and loved it. Theres been so many people that i've been able to brag to about my connection even though it  was the entry level it was fast.

NO LONGER can I brag about my connection and because you own the north east i cant switch to COMCAST and Time warner is out of the question.

edit: rebooting ONT didn't help

0 Likes
affinityjb3

Kudos to the above user who linked Proxyfree. It did indeed work.

However, I should't have to use a proxy to view the most visited video hosting site on the internet. Videos should load without hesitaiton on our 50+mbps fiber connection. To all the people saying this isnt a verizon issue - I'm sorry you are wrong. This IS a verizon issue. Many users, including myself, have tested videos from multiple sources, and the only common theme is FIOS.

I'm not sure why Verizon hasn't addressed it. This has been a problem for more than 6 months now. Last year I reported to Google and Verizon the 33% packetloss I got between the jump from Alternet(Verizon business) and Google. This packetloss was happening at the Google/Verizon gateway in Kansas. While I'm not getting consistant packet loss any longer, perhaps the bottleneck there is still to blame. In any case Verizon is not providing the service I expect from a top ISP. I expect better. I expect working websites. Fix it.

0 Likes
TurtleBeoulve
Seems like it's getting worse by the day. 8 to midnight it wont even load slowly. I've been seeing that a lot of the complaints are coming from the MD and VA area. Is it a problem with a local hub or something?
0 Likes
RobinVA1

Great recommendation!  That proxy work around is amazing. I use lots of Youtube videos while practicing for my band and it's been pitiful and we pay for better speed. Thanks so much for the recommendation.

0 Likes
SteveSweetz
Enthusiast - Level 2

(Edit) Scratch that.  Thought I had found something that worked, but it didn't.

Only thing that has worked is going though the linked proxy site.  Clearly there's some junk happening between YouTube and Verizon's servers.

0 Likes
jambulo
Enthusiast - Level 1

I've been dealing with this problem for the last several months, and I'm really sick of it.  I came up with some evidence that MAY prove that Verizon could be throttling our Youtube traffic.  I ran several test while capturing the traffic with Wireshark to give me some graphs of the throughput.

-First thing I did was get a baseline of my current throughput(One of Verizons commercials used Speedtest.net, so I will use that as well)

Speedtest.net Bandwidth Test Results - 13Mbps download rate, 6Mbps upload rate.  I am on the 15/5 internet plan.

Wireshark graph of the Speedtest.net bandwidth test.

-With Wireshark running, I then I went to Youtube and played 2 videos for about 1 minute each...

Thor Trailer @ 1080p.  Video NEVER played within the 1 minute test.  It just took too long to download enough data to play.

World War Z Trailer @ 720p.  Again, video NEVER played within the 1 minute test.

-Here's where it gets interesting.  For the next test, I opened the exact same videos via a proxy.  For those that don't know, a proxy is a server/service that acts as the middleman between you and the requested resource.  So in this case, I make a request for the Youtube video from my PC, the proxy server goes to Youtube for me, then sends me the video.

Thor Trailer @ 1080p.  Video played instantly and never buffered.

World War Z Trailer @ 720p.  Video played instantly and never buffered.

...Also, I get similar results when testing with my smartphone.  When connected to my wireless network(on Verizon), attempting to watch Youtube videos is unbearable.  It'll take minutes to buffer enough just to begin the video, then it'll play for about 5-10 seconds before it has to buffer again for another couple minutes.  When disconnecting from wireless(Verizon), and using only the cellular network(T-Mobile), I can watch High Quality videos all day with very little buffering.