Re: Is it me or youtube being slow at times?
rock_doctor

>>   How do you disable MMS?  <<

Log onto your router:

click Wireless settings (top)

click advanced secrity settings (side menu)

click other Advanced Wireless Options (at bottom of menu)

click "yes"

click WMM Settings (at bottom of menu)

uncheck "enabled" and then apply. (if you feel you don't like the change you can go back and re-enable it)

I hope it works for you.  good luck.  please let us know if it makes a difference.

0 Likes
Re: Is it me or youtube being slow at times?
impala4541

Just adding to this thread and confirming the issue with a couple of new data points:

1. The poor bandwidth definitely occurs for me on both youtube and the new google music streaming service.

2. Verizon LTE on my cell phone (Houston area) does NOT seem to have this issue.

I confirmed the proxy page posted on the previous page of this thread (www.proxfree.com) does indeed circumvent whatever Verizon <-> Google issue there seems to be and I get my full speed (25/25).  This however is unacceptable as a solution.  I'd jump ship in a heartbeat to another internet provider if that was an option (it's not an option where I live).

0 Likes
Verizon throttling youtube?
Nattan
Enthusiast - Level 3

This is redicilous, I am trying to watch 1080p videos on youtube and i have a 75/35 plan, the only way the end up buffering is at 240p. I am not downloading anything and my youtube throughput is less than 100KB/s but i can speed text at my full internet connection.

WHAT THE HELL VERIZON!

0 Likes
Re: Verizon throttling youtube?
prisaz
Legend

Did you ever think it might be YouTube?

0 Likes
Nattan
Enthusiast - Level 3

no because if i switch to my HMA proxy i can watch videos at 1080, but the fact that I have to use another network is bull**bleep**

0 Likes
prisaz
Legend

No issues here with this video. Planet Earth Full 1080P. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5_GlAOCHyE

Can you provide an example link? This is running through a Verizon MI424WR Rev. I GigE Router - Linux IP-Cop Firewall, and then through my TP-Link TL-SG3216 JetStream Layer 2 Managed Switch. with Fios 150/65.

But the 150/65 does not even raise the bar on my managed switch. I supose the HD is only ablut 4.5Mbps.

Please provide some samples.

What Version of Verizon router do you have?

Are there any other connections on the network that could be causing buffer issues with NAT in your router?

Just some ideas. I had 75/35 and had no issues, though some others have complained. I switch to GPON 150/65 about a month ago.

Another sample. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ucivXRBrP_0

Works great!

Can anyone provide a links to Free YouTube HD content where there is trouble. I see many complaints, but few examples other than a couple of graphs. I am not denying the issue, and not with my screaming fast connection I may not see a problem because I am hogging bandwith and cause everyone elses issues..Smiley LOL

Justin46
Legend

I have no clue whether the clip that prisaz referenced works or doesn't work for those that experience problems, but I just watched the first 8 minutes or so of that 20 minute clip at 1080p without a single hitch - no buffering problems at all. I have a 25/25 FiOS connection, laptop wired connection via an Actiontec Rev. I router. 

Based on reading some of the complaints regarding youtube, I think the problem is the routing that some areas get. While I do not view all that many youtube videos I do watch some clips, I always set the quality to the highest available, and I never, ever have any buffering issues.

Keller, TX 76248 (VHO 1)

Mikewnyc
Enthusiast - Level 2

I've been having the same problem with youtube on fios for the past few days and i'm 99% sure it is a verizon issue as I switched across to the public free wifi I can pick up from my house and all the videos loaded and didn't buffer. I clicked back to fios and I had the problems again! 

0 Likes
prisaz
Legend

@Mikewnyc wrote:

I've been having the same problem with youtube on fios for the past few days and i'm 99% sure it is a verizon issue as I switched across to the public free wifi I can pick up from my house and all the videos loaded and didn't buffer. I clicked back to fios and I had the problems again! 

I think buffering is a pluss. That means you are receiving it faster than you can play it. FiOS has a much better connection than many other services. It could be a memory issue, if your machine does not have enough speed or space to buffer content? When I am playing the HD content with FiOS, I always have video in my buffer that is waiting to play. I believe that if you get a feed through another connection tat may be a bit slower, you will not see that much content in your buffer.

This PC has an OLD AMD 64 X2 6000 CPU and 4Gb of ram, 1TB drive. My Media Center is a much beefier quad core machine with much more memory and 1TB Video drive. Never see any issues.

I will look for someone's sample / example links.

0 Likes
Mikewnyc
Enthusiast - Level 2
Hey there
Yeah I appreciate buffering is a good thing, but today for example it too YouTube via Verizon over 10 minutes to buffer a 30 second clip. When trying the same videos via the free public wifi it took about 2 seconds to buffer/play clips the same size.

It just doesn't make sense.
0 Likes