Re: Is it me or youtube being slow at times?
phyto1

Good article describing the issue of ISP ports and caches - the real heart of the problem is Verizon's greed...

http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2013/07/why-youtube-buffers-the-secret-deals-that-make...

I've had success by rejecting the associated IP addresses in my router as described by user Hubrisnxs and tweaked by user Justidme as posted below...

I can finally watch YouTube after doing this.

Here are instructions for doing it in the Actiontec Router, with Both bad IP address ranges 

• Log into your FIOS Router

• Click Firewall Setting (at top)

• Click Yes to proceed

• Click Advanced Filtering (on left)

• (Under Input) Click Add on the Broadband Connection (Ethernet/Coax) Rules you have setup (either coax or ethernet). You can check which one yours uses by going to My Network (up top) and clicking Network Connections (on left), look for the one that says connected. 

• Change Source Address to User Defined in the drop down list

• Enter a description (i.e. Youtube Throttling)

• Click Add under Items

• Change Network Object Type to IP Range

• Enter 173.194.55.0 in the From IP Address

• Enter 173.194.55.255 in the To IP Address

• Click Apply

• Click Add under Items

• Change Network Object Type to IP Range

• Enter 206.111.0.0 in the From IP Address

• Enter 206.111.0.255 in the To IP Address

• Click Apply

• Click Apply again

• Select Reject under the Operation drop down list

• Click Apply

0 Likes
dudeondacouch
Enthusiast - Level 2

Still nothing from a rep in either thread.

go {word filter avoidance} yourself with a cactus verizon.  {please keep your posts courteous}.

0 Likes
dudeondacouch
Enthusiast - Level 2

and now they've disabled my live chat after the CSR didn't even understand the questions i was asking.

0 Likes
sdkeller
Enthusiast - Level 3

I've been having problems with YouTube for weeks, and recently my wife has been having problems accessing Facebook.  Some video's stream and play fine but others will only play for second or two and then freeze.

I did some speed tests using location-based tests on Speakeasy.net and noticed that my speed was fine to most points around the country except when I ran the test to New York, the results of that test were coming in around 2-3MBS, which made me think that Verizon is having an issue between my location (Pittsburgh, PA) and New York.  I have the Quantum service (70Mbs) and my speed between Pgh and NY is usually much faster.

0 Likes
smuggle
Enthusiast - Level 2

for the past year or so I haven't been able to watch youtube videos AT ALL whatsoever during SANE hours... I can watch the videos just fine from like 6am to 4pm but during other hours I can't watch them? so I pay god knows how much and I can't watch youtube during peek hours when I'm most likely to want to watch it? I'd quit my service in a second if googling the issue didnt' tell me comcast was just as bad and I've no other alternatives. this is so unreasonable to pay for a service that can't be used.

a couple months ago I thought I got the whole ip block fix working but.... now it seems just as bad as ever, did verizon change all the ip addresses on us? is there a new list of ip address ranges needed?

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

@smuggle wrote:

for the past year or so I haven't been able to watch youtube videos AT ALL whatsoever during SANE hours... I can watch the videos just fine from like 6am to 4pm but during other hours I can't watch them? so I pay god knows how much and I can't watch youtube during peek hours when I'm most likely to want to watch it? I'd quit my service in a second if googling the issue didnt' tell me comcast was just as bad and I've no other alternatives. this is so unreasonable to pay for a service that can't be used.

a couple months ago I thought I got the whole ip block fix working but.... now it seems just as bad as ever, did verizon change all the ip addresses on us? is there a new list of ip address ranges needed?

No one pays for YouTube unless you are renting movies, or otherwise participating in their Pay to Subscribe program (don't even know if this has seen the light of day yet), or another paid Google service. It's all ad-funded like the rest of Google products.

As for changing/blocking IPs, I suggest against blocking the IPs within Level3's ownership for a few reasons. This is one of them, and Google can change the IPs of the caches, or send you to different caches at any time. They routinely do this.

0 Likes
synjaskillz

{please keep your posts courteous}

So clearly from the above statement Youtube still not working and it has been months now. How can these giant greedy corporations get away with this? **bleep**?

0 Likes
Vigz
Contributor - Level 1

This sucks because this is a problem that we cannot control. This seems to be a problem that can only be fixed by VZ, Cogent, Google, etc. I'm paying around 100 dollars a month for FiOS and so are other customers. I didn't pay 100 dollars a month for Verizon to be lazy and avaricious. Fix this problem, Verizon. It's been an ongoing issue ever since the end of last year. All Youtube videos for me lately have been playing perfectly in 144p. Not even 360 or 240p. I reccommend everyone to avoid blocking the ip ranges and use a proxy website like www.proxfree.com.

0 Likes
Mystixism
Enthusiast - Level 1

Add me to the list of Verizon Fios users that can't access youtube. Most of the time the videos won't even buffer or play when the lowest quality setting is selected. I have the 75/35 internet speed plan and after multiple speed tests, I know that speed isn't the issue. I can play videos better on my phone with a 3 bar 3G connection than I can with Verizon Fios at home on my computer. that in itself is pure proof that it is on Verizon/Google's side and not the users.

I don't plan on cancelling service as the speeds for gaming are great and we do a lot of that, but I am VERY disappointed with the lack of communication regarding the youtube streaming issue that has been talked about for nearly a year now.

0 Likes
NetBias
Enthusiast - Level 2
0 Likes