Is it possible to get an IPv6 and 802.11n capable router?
snydergc
Enthusiast - Level 1

I would like to upgrade my current wireless router to an one that supports IPv6 and 802.11n. I want to do 6in4 tunnels for IPv6 to Hurricane Electric for my tunnel service and I have computers that have 802.11n. Currently I have the Actiontec (Verizon) MI424-WR wireless router with 10/100 ports. Can I get this through Verizon? I know I can go buy a Wireless router that can provide this on the outside, but want to ensure that this doesn't mess up my tv services. I have the three services currently on FIOS. TV, Internet and phone. So the router controls the TV settop boxes also.

Re: Is it possible to get an IPv6 and 802.11n capable router?
Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

There are a number of options for running your own router.

You should review the following FAQ for the advantages and disadvantages of each configuration:

What are the tradeoffs between the various router configurations

All the options listed will keep guide data, VOD and widgets intact.  On screen caller-id and remote DVR are problematic though.  See the FAQ for details on a possible work-around.

0 Likes
myblack2002ws6
Enthusiast - Level 2

So does Verizon have any plans at all of coming out with a IPv6 n router?

I've had my same router for like 6 years now:(

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

IPv6 is a simple software upgrade on the Verizon routers. No need for a new unit unless more RAM is needed to support the larger NAT table entries IPv6 creates.

0 Likes
jessica45qt
Enthusiast - Level 2

Well Verzion them selve has no plans to switch customers over to ipv6 capable routers right away as its hard to get on Wireless N router from them as well unless you are on a buisness plan.Now If you Turn off your wireless from the Verizon side and hook up a router switch to a open port on the verizon router\modem there should be no problem as thats how i do mine.Also there are only certain routers and that support Wireless N and IPv6 access and I will post some info here as well about that.

http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=767  <<<  Heres The Dlink one im using as Dlink and Cisco (linksys) are the only companys that support Ipv6 fully on certain models.

Heres another IPV6 Router >> http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=737

only two i know of but was told there are two more dlink models that support it but i contacted dlink and they told that the two links i have posted here are the only fully compatible IPV6 routers availible.

Heres one of ciscos routers >> http://homestore.cisco.com/en-us/Routers/Linksys-E4200-MaximumPerformance-Wirelessn-router_stcVVprod...

jessica45qt
Enthusiast - Level 2

Verizon has one out but not to customers as its still in the testing phase and as far as i know only few verizon employees and and company it self has them.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

The Rev. F, G, and I routers are Wireless N routers. They are out and about in customer homes and are gotten at random, with the exception of the Rev G which is only given to 150M customers. The Rev. F has a Draft N radio capable of doing no more than a theoretical 65Mbps from the way Verizon is driving  it. The Rev G and I do higher speeds, around 145Mbps from what I've seen.

Still behind what the off-the-shelf router manufacturers are doing, but they are finally improving it.

0 Likes