Is it possible to get internet access via coax cable only?
ineedwifiplease

just moved into a new house. FIOS cannot come and "install" FIOS until mid-January.

the home already has an ONT box but, for whatever reason, there's only a coax cable running up from it. 

i hooked the coax cable up to my old Verizon router and i can now see my wireless connection however i have "no internet". 

someone told me this is due to the fact that the service im paying for is 200mbs min and coax cable does not work with these plans, only ethernet. 

0 Likes
Re: Is it possible to get internet access via coax cable only?
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

That's right. For subscription speed over 100Mbps, ethernet connection between the ONT and the router is required. Is there reason that you cannot use an ethernet wire to connect the router to the ONT?

0 Likes
ineedwifiplease

Well the ONT is outside and currently there’s no Ethernet cable running from it. I suppose I could but not sure how I’d run it from outdoors in.

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

You should be able to contact support by phone and request  provisioning of the ONT for ethernet.  They can do it in a few minutes with you on the phone.  Then just connect the ONT to a router wan port with an ethernet cable.  The router can be your own router or a Verizon provided one.

gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

There are several issues:

• A GPON ONT is required for speeds above 100Mbps.  There isn't enough information in your posts to determine if it's a BPON or GPON unit.  If you can post pictures of the inside of the ONT or find it's model number, we can probably figure out what it is.
    Only Verizon can upgrade an ONT from BPON to GPON.  If the current ONT is BPON, a tech visit is required.
  • Ethernet is required for all speeds over 100Mbps.  If you can run the cable yourself AND you have a GPON ONT, you may be able to avoid a tech visit.  You'll have to use an existing hole or drill a new one to get Ethernet inside.  You can also hire someone, if you like.
  • The ONT won't be provisioned for service until the install is completed.  Currently this will happen when the tech comes.  If you have a GPON with Ethernet and can get switched to self-install, this will happen on the date Verizon gives you.

Note that if you an ONT upgrade is needed, Verizon will try to install the GPON unit inside.  Whether that can be done depends on the particulars of your home.  If you can get it install inside, I highly recommend it.

0 Likes