Is it possible to have a Ethernet switch between ONT and router?
ShalabloomKey

I just moved into my current apartment lately. A technician came over and set up the internet for me. My apartment have four ethernet ports available but only one has internet feed. I took a look at the switch box. There is only one cable pluged into the switch and that's why only one port works. I'm wondering is it possible to connect an extra Ethernet switch to ONT and have four cables plug into the main switch on the other side? Since it has Internet feed from the working port without an router, I guess my plan might work, regardless of security or anything else?

Appreciate for your help.

Here's how the apartment looks like: 

What in the switch box

0 Likes
Re: Is it possible to have a Ethernet switch between ONT and router?
--

I can't see your pictures, but from your description what you need to not to install a switch,  but a router between your ONT and your "switch box."

Then you can connect another line to each of the inputs on the switch box to distribute your internet to each of four Ethernet ports around your apartment.

If you get FiOS you might already have a router (renting or purchased) that you use, or you can go buy one in your local electronics store like Best Buy.

0 Likes
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Not possible unless you have multiple static IP's. It would be ont to router wan port. Next the lan port of the router will go to the switch that can be connected to other devices. 

0 Likes
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Now I can see the pictures. The yellow ethernet wire comes out of the ONT's ethernet port and leads to the ethernet jack in your apartment that is working. So you would need to move your router to the switch box and plug ethernet wires from the router's lan port to each one of those ethernet plugs that you want to work. The yellow ethernet wire will plug into the wan port of router from the ont. 

0 Likes