Is it possible to use an old Actiontec Fios router to rebroadcast or bridge with my Gateway?
kod724moment

I have an old Actiontec Fios router that is set up with its own ID and password that i’d Like to reconfigure in order to double the signal to my Quantum Gateway. If I plug them both it it’ll kick off the previous router from internet. I want it so I can have either one big range of connection coming from both routers on the same ID to sign in with or I want a way to make the Actiontec Ethernet only and use an old Linksys to broadcast it’s WiFi signal while keeping the Gateway WiFi and Ethernet running as normal. 

0 Likes
Re: Is it possible to use an old Actiontec Fios router to rebroadcast or bridge with my Gateway?
jonjones1
Legend

You are making this way too difficult.

you can use your old router with the new one in access point mode.

you can have it bridged as to broadcast its own SSID like any repeater you purchase in the store. 

This link may be of assistance. See section 3.1 

https://www.dslreports.com/faq/verizonfios?

0 Likes
Re: Is it possible to use an old Actiontec Fios router to rebroadcast or bridge with my Gateway?
kod724moment

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/15984 Would this be best? I want to keep my Gateway as primary and use the actiontec as a secondary. It seems like the other one wants me to make my Gateway a secondary router.

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

There are many variants on setups. I would use your Verizon router as primary, and place the other in access point/bridge mode. As is one of the setup situations.

as per your link there are also other methods. 

Trial and error many times is how home networks are set up.

0 Likes
kod724moment

I tried setting it up in bridge mode. Am I able to move the actiontec in bridge mode upstairs now to test? does Wireless have to be disabled or can I keep it enabled under the same SSID and the same password? Do I need to have COAX in the back of the bridged router or just the primary? I changed the IP and disabled settings per the instructions I followed. I am able to get onto both (1.1 and 1.2 at the end of IP) when connecting both together into the computer.

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

You can move the router upstairs. However you need an ethernet cable long enough to be plugged into the WAN port on the actiontec to plug into the Quantum routers LAN port (one of the four) most times if you keep the same name on the SSID it confuses the connections, you won’t know which WiFi is from where. 

I always use the same same name except for putting .ext on the end of any access point or bridged WiFi and use the same password for all.

however I use a Netgear Nighthawk R8500 and its range is far superior to any Verizon router.

0 Likes
kod724moment

So there isn’t a way to connect them wirelessly? Everything I’ve been looking at has them in the end being able to be moved anywhere in the house and communicate wirelessly not with a really long LAN cable.

0 Likes
kod724moment

TRENDnet Powerline Adapters would this work to connect ethernet from one port to another? I wouldnt have a way to run the cable upstairs unless I drilled a hole in the wall up a floor on the same side of the house. Iḿ assuming this works like this: Gateway LAN to ethernet cable to adapter in outlet, then upstairs I plug in ethernet to Actiontec.

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

@kod724moment wrote:

TRENDnet Powerline Adapters would this work to connect ethernet from one port to another? I wouldnt have a way to run the cable upstairs unless I drilled a hole in the wall up a floor on the same side of the house. Iḿ assuming this works like this: Gateway LAN to ethernet cable to adapter in outlet, then upstairs I plug in ethernet to Actiontec.

That should work. 

0 Likes
kod724moment

Will it kill my speeds? And as I said before there isn’t a way to wirelessly connect them other than with the thing I just linked?

0 Likes