Is it pretty straight forward setting up xbox live and PSN with the verizon fios router?
davelanger
Enthusiast - Level 3

Is it pretty straight forward setting up xbox live and PSN with the verizon fios router?

Are there any tips I may need to know? Or will the tech guy also help with that?  Should i have him make sure the router is using wpa2 for these?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Is it pretty straight forward setting up xbox live and PSN with the verizon fios router?
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

The wireless security setting doesn't matter for connectivity of the consoles to the Internet, but in preference, setting to WPA2-PSK AES tends to increase security, speed, and lately, is more compatible with devices. At most, if the Xbox and the PS3 fail to work properly while playing games online, it's probably a case of having to enable UPnP on the router or to do some port forwarding. You'll know when this is the case if the PS3 complains about NAT 3, the Xbox 360 complain about Strict NAT, so on and so fourth. Port Forwarding/UPnP should give your Xbox Moderate or even Open NAT, and the PS3 should get NAT 2 or NAT 1.

View solution in original post

Re: Is it pretty straight forward setting up xbox live and PSN with the verizon fios router?
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

The wireless security setting doesn't matter for connectivity of the consoles to the Internet, but in preference, setting to WPA2-PSK AES tends to increase security, speed, and lately, is more compatible with devices. At most, if the Xbox and the PS3 fail to work properly while playing games online, it's probably a case of having to enable UPnP on the router or to do some port forwarding. You'll know when this is the case if the PS3 complains about NAT 3, the Xbox 360 complain about Strict NAT, so on and so fourth. Port Forwarding/UPnP should give your Xbox Moderate or even Open NAT, and the PS3 should get NAT 2 or NAT 1.

davelanger
Enthusiast - Level 3

Ok thanks, I have a D Link router now with comcast and when I switch I know I have to go with verizon's router.

It all works perfectly now, I just dont want a headache when I have to set up the verizon router.

If I ask the tech should he set up the router as WPA2 in stead of WEP? Or will I have to update that after he leaves?

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

The routers are already set up with WEP. Let the tech do his thing and when you are set with installation, you can change the setting. Also, the Verizon router isn't required to be used with the service. It comes with the service to allow for networking over Coaxial cables as well as Internet connectivity to the Set Top Boxes. Plenty of ways the FiOS Service can bne set to allow for the use of the D-Link. That's if you have problems though that cannot be solved with what the ActionTec allows to be changed.

davelanger
Enthusiast - Level 3

I will have TV also, so I dont want to mess with trying to use my old router as a bridge.

Isnt that a hassel to set up? Its not like you can just plug in the Ethernet from the fios router to mine right?

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

There is some small configuring that needs to be done to avoid Double NAT situations which consoles do not play well with at all. But to be honest, I would just try connecting the console to the FiOS router off the bat. I'm sure it will work without an issue. Just to save all the trouble during the install of trying to get the router working. If it turns out the FiOS router isn't performing as expected, we'll get your router up and running.

davelanger
Enthusiast - Level 3

Yeah I will just try  using the fios modem first, thanks.  I just need to make sure I can easily change it over to WPA2 without messing up the fios set top box.

thanks for your help

0 Likes
Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

@davelanger wrote:

I just need to make sure I can easily change it over to WPA2 without messing up the fios set top box. 

The STBs use MOCA (coax) to communicate with the FIOS router, not wireless, so no worries about affecting them by changing to WPA2.

davelanger
Enthusiast - Level 3

good to know, thanks

0 Likes
XboxGuy
Enthusiast - Level 3

if you want to try and maximize your xbox live experience try using these settings:  http://forums.verizon.com/t5/FiOS-Internet/Actiontec-MI424WR-rev-G-router-and-xbox-live-best-setting...

0 Likes