Is it worthy upgrading from 150(current) to 300 or 750(new) internet plan?
drholmes999
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hello all,

This is my 2nd year subscribing to Verizon FIOS internet plan at 150/150 Mbps. Ever since the newly released plan with a margin boost of 750/750 Mbps, I've been brainstorming back and forth about the needs of upgrading to a higher plan. My family has plans to collect more system consoles(wiiU, ps4, etc) in the upcoming year. Also, there are more ios & android devices used in the large household (12+) along with windows/microsoft. All of us are major entertainment or streamers with heavy usage in downloading HD/HQ videos on a weekly basis. My job load has increased at work and somehow it felt as if the current internet plan(150/150) isn't enough to do justice on all the streaming, downloading, and uploading contents. As a final breakdown, may I have some advice or tips if it is worth upgrading from 150 to 300 or even shoot beyond further for the 750 electrical boost?  

Modem: Fios Quantum Gateway™ router

Note: My subscribed plan is at $100+ for 150/150 Mbps. 

Adding $30 = 300/300 Mbps

Adding $80 = 750/750 Mbps

Thank you very much for your time. 

Eric,

0 Likes
Re: Is it worthy upgrading from 150(current) to 300 or 750(new) internet plan?
jonjones1
Legend

@drholmes999 wrote:

Hello all,

This is my 2nd year subscribing to Verizon FIOS internet plan at 150/150 Mbps. Ever since the newly released plan with a margin boost of 750/750 Mbps, I've been brainstorming back and forth about the needs of upgrading to a higher plan. My family has plans to collect more system consoles(wiiU, ps4, etc) in the upcoming year. Also, there are more ios & android devices used in the large household (12+) along with windows/microsoft. All of us are major entertainment or streamers with heavy usage in downloading HD/HQ videos on a weekly basis. My job load has increased at work and somehow it felt as if the current internet plan(150/150) isn't enough to do justice on all the streaming, downloading, and uploading contents. As a final breakdown, may I have some advice or tips if it is worth upgrading from 150 to 300 or even shoot beyond further for the 750 electrical boost?  

Eric,

This is only something you can ponder. The devices you mention can be handled with a cable speed of 15/1 and I know this because for many years that is what my wife and I used. We frequently have 15-20 devices active on our home network.

depending on who you speak to (I prefer to look it up and read on it) many believe that lower speed is just as effective. However my wife likes the quick downloads for her files between her office and to her personal computer. I on the other hand just use a iPad or laptop which is minor usage. I find the 150/150 for $80 to be ok with us. 

I would consider price/value for your money when getting your speeds.

faster is not always better. I have also thought of trying the new 750/750 when it becomes available in my area. But if I don't see instant connect/upload/download I will revert back to my prior speed.

good luck

CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

On top of the previous post, there is also the factor of how you conenct to rotuer.
If you are doing WIFI, what speed are you connecting at?

Doesn't make sense to upgrade to 750 if everyone if wifi at 200-300M.

If you are using ethernet, it might make sense if device can support 1G.

Try and add up what you are doing.

Most streaming only requires 5-6Mbps for each HD movie.

Online gaming will vary.

So you would need quite a few streams going on to tax the 150M service you have.

0 Likes
drholmes999
Enthusiast - Level 2

@jonjones wrote:

@drholmes999 wrote:

Hello all,

Eric,

This is only something you can ponder. The devices you mention can be handled with a cable speed of 15/1 and I know this because for many years that is what my wife and I used. We frequently have 15-20 devices active on our home network.

depending on who you speak to (I prefer to look it up and read on it) many believe that lower speed is just as effective. However my wife likes the quick downloads for her files between her office and to her personal computer. I on the other hand just use a iPad or laptop which is minor usage. I find the 150/150 for $80 to be ok with us. 

I would consider price/value for your money when getting your speeds.

faster is not always better. I have also thought of trying the new 750/750 when it becomes available in my area. But if I don't see instant connect/upload/download I will revert back to my prior speed.

good luck

Thanks for the great tip jon, I was considering making a small upgrade to 300 and test the speed to see if it makes a difference to our daily activity before moving further. 

If 300 isn't powerful enough to handle 100+ streaming/downloading HD/HQ drama episodes, then the 750 seems doable. 

Hopefully 750 is accurate on the price as the advertised one. 

0 Likes
drholmes999
Enthusiast - Level 2

@CRobGauth wrote:

On top of the previous post, there is also the factor of how you conenct to rotuer.

Online gaming will vary.

So you would need quite a few streams going on to tax the 150M service you have.

Most of my IOS/Android devices can reach between 5 Mbps~95Mbps depending on the range of the router. i.e: the router is placed near the living room on the middle floor, the speed can go up or shoot down upstairs in the bedrooms and the basement. These are all based on devices there were embedded with WIFI without ethernets. 

My windows and microsoft desktops are connected via ethernet upstairs from the middle level living room and thus reaching its full potential at 150/150.

Sometimes, the streamings on handheld devices make bugs or small lags at HD quality. 

The majority of the gamings are usually done on handheld more than desktop except for well known ones such as STEAM. 

I was thinking of trying the 300 plan with extra 20-30 bucks and see where it takes before aiming for the beast 750.

0 Likes
drholmes999
Enthusiast - Level 2

@CRobGauth wrote:

Online gaming will vary.

Is there a way to check and determine if windows desktop connected with ethernet can support up to 1 GB speed in terms of computer specs?

Thanks CRob,

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Yes.

Open Network and Sharing (under control panel in Win 7).

Then click on Local Internet Connection Under connections.

It will bring up a status box with speed as well as other info.

drholmes999
Enthusiast - Level 2

@CRobGauth wrote:

Yes.

The instructions gave out this pop up load of info:

Is this a validation of windows capable of handling speeds up to 1 GB such as 300-750 Mbps?

Thanks a bunch CRob,

0 Likes
drholmes999
Enthusiast - Level 2

@CRobGauth wrote:

Yes.

My account was recently upgraded from 150/150 to 750/750 for a fresh taste. For some very odd reason, this link (https://www.verizon.com/SpeedTest/routertest.aspx) is able to display the correct speed plan my package was registered at 750+. However, the other speed testing sites such as Ookla and speakeasy.net wasn't able to put up over 300/300. Multiple sites were tested repeatedly and only the first link accurately presents 750/750+ without lingering between 270-280 Mbps like Ookla and speakeasy.  Any ideas about this situation CRob?  lol

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

What you are paying for is access to Verizon network.

If you run a test with a wired connection to speedtest.verizon.net and get your subscribed speed, then Verizon has met their commitment.

Once it gets off their network, they can't control.

IMHO, speeds that high are overrated.

Unless you have a rather large number of devices, you will probably not see much of a performance increase for the money.