quick menu

Is my Actiontec MI424WR firmware up to date?

Is my Actiontec MI424WR firmware up to date?

SOLVED
Highlighted
SpeedThree
Copper Contributor
Message 1 of 4
(7,254 Views)

I saw this Arstechnica article 

http://arstechnica.com/security/2016/12/home-routers-under-attack-in-ongoing-malvertisement-blitz/#p...

...in which they said the best way to protect your router is have  your firmware up to date and a long and strong password.  Well, I have a long and strong password but can't figure out how to determine if my firmware is up to date.  Would appreciate info on how to do so and, if it's not, how to update it.  Many thanks.

3 REPLIES
Bronze Contributor III
Bronze Contributor III
Message 2 of 4
(7,231 Views)

You can check manually what firmware your device is running and if there is an update avaible. To do this, login to your router at http://192.168.1.1/. You should have the username and password on the bottom of your router.

Once you've logged in, click the Advanced button on the top navigation bar. 

When it asks to proceed, click yes.

Find the "Firmware Upgrade" option. Click it.

This page shows you your current version, and you have the option to check for updates direct from Aciontec. This is a screenshot of the page you should see:Screenshot from 2016-12-17 02-34-12.png

Digging on the internet, I've found that it seems the latest firmware should be version 40.21.24.

However, don't get too excitied, as it seems that the routers are rarely updated, and your at the mercy of Verizon to push out updates to your device.

But in the end, there is a 99% chance that you should be fine. However, if you do want peace of mind, you could always use your own router, giving you more control over your network. 

SpeedThree
Copper Contributor
Message 3 of 4
(7,115 Views)

Thanks so much for that detailed reply.  Looks like mine is up to date.

Message 4 of 4
(1,922 Views)

Due to the age of this thread, it will be locked in order to keep discussions current. If you have the same or a similar question/issue we invite you to start a new thread on the topic.

How-To Videos

The following videos were produced by users like you!

Videos are subject to the Verizon Fios Community Terms of Service and User Guidelines and contains content that is not created by Verizon.
Verizon Troubleshooters
Unable to find your answer here? Try searching Verizon Troubleshooters for more options.

My Verizon

• Add or Change Plan
  • Suspend My Service
  • Apps

Support

Watch Fios