Is my Actiontec MI424WR firmware up to date?
dhdurgee

I just signed into my router and checked for a firmware update.  When I refreshed the display the status was shown as "OK" and I then clicked on the listed release for details.  The results were:

Version: 4.0.16.1.56.0.10.14.4
Release Date: Jan 20 2011
Platform: MI424-WR
Tag: Nrel-4-0-16-1-56-0-10-14-4
Compilation Flags: ACTION_TEC_DIAGNOSTICS=y CONFIG_SUPPORT_524_2A=y CONFIG_MULTI_CARD=y LIC=../jpkg_actiontec.lic DIST=MI424WR
Hardware Version: 9A
Hardware WAN MAC Address: **:**:**:**:**:**

Seriously, no firmware updates since 2011?  Somehow I find that hard to believe.  Anyone else think this is odd?

Dave

0 Likes
Re: Is my Actiontec MI424WR firmware up to date?
jonjones1
Legend

Not really.

its under the old saying if it ain’t broke why fix it?

verizon would have pushed out any updates that were needed. If the router is still in use if not then no firmware updates.

0 Likes
Fredcw
Enthusiast - Level 1

Strongly disagree. With the VPNfilter malware threatening all wireless routers Verizon needs to release a firmware update to minimize the risk.

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

@Fredcw wrote:

Strongly disagree. With the VPNfilter malware threatening all wireless routers Verizon needs to release a firmware update to minimize the risk.

It has been stated on this site and others that the Greenwave routers Verizon uses are not affected. Verizon pushes out updates as needed. You can not update firmware since Verizon locks them down. So for now the FiOS Quantum Gateway Router is by their own admission not affected.

if you don’t agree then use your own router like I do. My Netgear has had two updates put out in the last four months.

0 Likes
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Is the MI424wr you have the one with the red band Revi? Or is it older? There is a few versions of those routers and some verizon doesn't support anymore. 

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

@Edg1 wrote:

Is the MI424wr you have the one with the red band Revi? Or is it older? There is a few versions of those routers and some verizon doesn't support anymore. 

I thought I read Verizon will support them as long as customers pay more money to use them. It’s a support fee of some sort. $3 I think per month.

0 Likes
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

You are right. They might not do anymore firmware upgrades though. 

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

@Edg1 wrote:

You are right. They might not do anymore firmware upgrades though. 

I believe your correct. The whole purpose of the fee is to get people off the older router. So $36 dollars to throw into the street. Some customers are feisty. 

0 Likes