Switch Account

Is there a Google Play workaround?

Is there a Google Play workaround?

Highlighted
Contributor ShaunNeff
Contributor
Message 1 of 3
(530 Views)

Hi all. I am relatively tech minded. But, I can't wrap my head around why FIOS cannot seem to play well with Google Play. When I had TWC I had no issues downloading apps from the market. Has anyone figured out a workaround so that I can get full speeds when downloading my apps on wifi? I have no intention of downloading a 600 MB file on my 4G connection.

PS. I do know how to change router settings

2 REPLIES 2
Platinum Contributor II Platinum Contributor II
Platinum Contributor II
Message 2 of 3
(481 Views)

@ShaunNeff wrote:

Hi all. I am relatively tech minded. But, I can't wrap my head around why FIOS cannot seem to play well with Google Play. When I had TWC I had no issues downloading apps from the market. Has anyone figured out a workaround so that I can get full speeds when downloading my apps on wifi? I have no intention of downloading a 600 MB file on my 4G connection.

PS. I do know how to change router settings

Perhaps if you explained what the issue you are having actually is we could offer some help.

I have FiOS and we are able to download apps from Google Play on all of our Android devices just fine.

--
If a forum member gives an answer you like, give them the Kudos they deserve. If a member gives you the answer to your question, mark the answer as Accepted Solution so others can see the solution to the problem.

"All knowledge is worth having."
Contributor ShaunNeff
Contributor
Message 3 of 3
(448 Views)

Thank you for responding.

My issue is this:

When I try to download an app from Google Play and am using my Verizon Wireless 4G connection, I get wonderful speeds (~1.5 Megabytes per second). But, recently, when I try to do the same process when using my Wifi connection to my Verizon FIOS supplied router (GigE, with 802.11n), I am getting speeds closer to dial up (56k). It took over 4 hours to download a 29 megabyte portion of a 182 megabyte file.

This is not an issue with my phone, as I have multiple Android devices that suddenly have this problem. And, when I am connected to someone elses Wifi, I can get full download speed. When I perform a speed test on my FIOS connection using the Verizon speed test site, I do get full 75/35 that I am paying for. I also have no problems viewing websites or downloading with iTunes.

The apple devices on my network do not have an issue downloading from the Apple Store.

I have read online that this is a common issue with FIOS subscribers. I have already tried changing my DNS servers to the public google ones (8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4)

Normally, I would not have a problem using my cell connection to download apps, but I have a 4GB cap, and, I don't wish to use all my data downloading a single game.

Note:

1. Until recently, I did not have an issue with Google Play; I understand that this may be a temporary issue with FIOS.

2. I have changed no settings on my router other than changing DNS servers to try to resolve the issue.

3. Google Play works fine on my Verizon Wireless 4G connection.

4. I have a Droid 4 and a brand new Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1, both with the latest OS Updates, and both purchased directly from a Verizon Wireless store.

5. I have no issues acessing google.com, or using Google Drive, both of which I do many times a day.

I am a patient person, and am willing to do some tinkering if need be. Other than this issue, I love my FIOS service. Customer care has been nothing but exceptional, and the employee have been knowledgeable.

Thank You,

Shaun

How-To Videos

The following videos were produced by users like you!

Videos are subject to the Verizon Fios Community Terms of Service and User Guidelines and contains content that is not created by Verizon.

Browse Categories
Categories:
Verizon Troubleshooters
Unable to find your answer here? Try searching Verizon Troubleshooters for more options.