Is there a Google Play workaround?
ShaunNeff
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi all. I am relatively tech minded. But, I can't wrap my head around why FIOS cannot seem to play well with Google Play. When I had TWC I had no issues downloading apps from the market. Has anyone figured out a workaround so that I can get full speeds when downloading my apps on wifi? I have no intention of downloading a 600 MB file on my 4G connection.

PS. I do know how to change router settings

0 Likes
Re: Is there a Google Play workaround?
somegirl
Champion - Level 3

@ShaunNeff wrote:

Hi all. I am relatively tech minded. But, I can't wrap my head around why FIOS cannot seem to play well with Google Play. When I had TWC I had no issues downloading apps from the market. Has anyone figured out a workaround so that I can get full speeds when downloading my apps on wifi? I have no intention of downloading a 600 MB file on my 4G connection.

PS. I do know how to change router settings

Perhaps if you explained what the issue you are having actually is we could offer some help.

I have FiOS and we are able to download apps from Google Play on all of our Android devices just fine.

0 Likes
Re: Is there a Google Play workaround?
ShaunNeff
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank you for responding.

My issue is this:

When I try to download an app from Google Play and am using my Verizon Wireless 4G connection, I get wonderful speeds (~1.5 Megabytes per second). But, recently, when I try to do the same process when using my Wifi connection to my Verizon FIOS supplied router (GigE, with 802.11n), I am getting speeds closer to dial up (56k). It took over 4 hours to download a 29 megabyte portion of a 182 megabyte file.

This is not an issue with my phone, as I have multiple Android devices that suddenly have this problem. And, when I am connected to someone elses Wifi, I can get full download speed. When I perform a speed test on my FIOS connection using the Verizon speed test site, I do get full 75/35 that I am paying for. I also have no problems viewing websites or downloading with iTunes.

The apple devices on my network do not have an issue downloading from the Apple Store.

I have read online that this is a common issue with FIOS subscribers. I have already tried changing my DNS servers to the public google ones (8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4)

Normally, I would not have a problem using my cell connection to download apps, but I have a 4GB cap, and, I don't wish to use all my data downloading a single game.

Note:

1. Until recently, I did not have an issue with Google Play; I understand that this may be a temporary issue with FIOS.

2. I have changed no settings on my router other than changing DNS servers to try to resolve the issue.

3. Google Play works fine on my Verizon Wireless 4G connection.

4. I have a Droid 4 and a brand new Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1, both with the latest OS Updates, and both purchased directly from a Verizon Wireless store.

5. I have no issues acessing google.com, or using Google Drive, both of which I do many times a day.

I am a patient person, and am willing to do some tinkering if need be. Other than this issue, I love my FIOS service. Customer care has been nothing but exceptional, and the employee have been knowledgeable.

Thank You,

Shaun

0 Likes