Is there any priority difference between those laptops using the the network
zhangyuan05

Dear Verizon technicians,

I used my laptop to install the FIOS and share the network with some other roommates. I found the network speed of my laptop seems to be higher than others'. I was wondering is there any priority difference between my laptop and other laptops, or the router will serve my laptop at  first since it was first registered to my laptop??

If so, is there any solution to get rid of the difference??

Thanks,

zhangyuan05

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Is there any priority difference between those laptops using the the network
Hubrisnxs
Legend

NP,  There isn't anything the technicians do to make one computer priority over the others, in fact it would be difficult for you to do the same even if you wanted to.   So Network Traffic will travel in the same fashion it always has unless there is a bottleneck somewhere, or some kind of interferer in their devices.  

Hope that answers your question more directly.  

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Re: Is there any priority difference between those laptops using the the network
jumpin68ny
Master - Level 2

The first question to ask is how is everyone connected, wired or wireless.

If wireless what is the distance between the router and the furthest laptop.  As you move further away from the wireless router the wireless signal will get weaker and cause the Internet speed to move slower as well.  Also, the wireless will move as fast as the slowest laptop so if a laptop is only getting 1meg of speed the rest of the wireless users will move at the same speed as well.

0 Likes
zhangyuan05

All the laptops are connected using wireless.

So, there is no priority difference between the laptops caused by the manual configuration of the router, right?

And the wireless network speed limit is decided only by the slowest or farest laptop?

@jumpin68ny wrote:

The first question to ask is how is everyone connected, wired or wireless.

If wireless what is the distance between the router and the furthest laptop.  As you move further away from the wireless router the wireless signal will get weaker and cause the Internet speed to move slower as well.  Also, the wireless will move as fast as the slowest laptop so if a laptop is only getting 1meg of speed the rest of the wireless users will move at the same speed as well.

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

It also depends on what YOU are running on your PC.  if you notice that their speed is suffering, find out if you are doing anything special on your PC, like Bittorrents or Video streaming.   the fios routers have a tiny nat table, and if you are running bittorrents or heavy video streaming that can inundate the network and cause slow speed on the other machines. 

0 Likes
zhangyuan05

Thanks for your reply, Hubrisnxs. 

I understand what you were saying. But I just want to make sure is there any difference between the one which I used for installing the FIOS network and the others, if all the laptops are exactly the same(same hardware and software, same location, same running tasks) . Cause one of my roomates thinks maybe during the installation the technician installed something in my computer or the router which makes my computer "special" considering delivering those network packages or network services.

Hubrisnxs wrote:

It also depends on what YOU are running on your PC.  if you notice that their speed is suffering, find out if you are doing anything special on your PC, like Bittorrents or Video streaming.   the fios routers have a tiny nat table, and if you are running bittorrents or heavy video streaming that can inundate the network and cause slow speed on the other machines. 

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

NP,  There isn't anything the technicians do to make one computer priority over the others, in fact it would be difficult for you to do the same even if you wanted to.   So Network Traffic will travel in the same fashion it always has unless there is a bottleneck somewhere, or some kind of interferer in their devices.  

Hope that answers your question more directly.  

0 Likes
zhangyuan05

Thanks for your help. Hubrisnxs.

0 Likes