Re: Issue connecting to samsung download site
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

Yeah ... that'll fix it.  Not.

As has been discussed by a number of people here, it works from certain locations within the network and not others.   It is a route advertisement/filtering or asymetric route issue.   Either the ISP (or an intervening ISP) at the Samsung side of the connection is not correctly seeing and processing the return route path for certain Verizon networks (or Verizon is not advertising them) or Samsung has a multi-firewall setup and for some reason the return path is egress via a different firewall than it enters their network resulting in an asymmetric route which is dropped by their firewall.

I seriously doubt it is an advertising issue on Verizon's part or you would have much larger problems reaching many other locations on the internet. 

This is a Samsung problem -- which is why you're getting not help from Verizon.   That's like complaining to Southwest about the an equipment malfunction on a KLM flight and wanting Southwest to make KLM fix it.

As for Samsung -- the site is in Korea -- a little outside the jurisdiction of the FTC / FCC. 

You would have more luck working with the customer relations department at Samsung who I would think would want to advocate on the behalf of their customer to fix the problem because it will affect future sales of their units.   

0 Likes
Re: Issue connecting to samsung download site
theinfluencer
Enthusiast - Level 3

Maybe so but if people sit there and do nothing the problem will never get resolved.

0 Likes
Re: Can't connect to Samsung's Internet@tv
theinfluencer
Enthusiast - Level 3

1)Start by opening up a help desk ticket at Verizon and record that ticket number

2) Your best bet is complaining about the download center since that is not accessible

3) Verizon doesn't support other devices and will use the contract you signed against if you bring up internet TV.

4) Gather what ever information you can from Samsung including ticket number and Level 2 contact if possible.

If you don't get results file a complaint with your local BBB.  

0 Likes
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

kdc -- in short Samsung is lying to you.  The problem really is on Samsung's side but it will likely take network engineers from Samsung to get involved (and involve their ISP and Verizon if the issue is in the route exchange).   There are large parts of the Verizon network which have no issue getting connectivity.

Read back thru this entire thread to get an appreciation for the nature of the issue.

spacedebris
Master - Level 2

theinfluencer, that will not do any good. As has been repeatedly said here, this is not a Verizon problem that they can do anything about. Everyone that has bothered to post a tracert shows that they can get all the way to samsung. Verizon can only help with the first 4 or 5 hops, until it leaves the Verizon network. Samsung has even admitted that it is a problem on their end. Verizon only can help if you cannot leave their network, and every tracert posted shows that it not only navigates the Verizon network fine, it makes it all the way to the Samsung network before it fails. And there is no point going to the BBB unless your filing a complaint against Samsung, and even then, Samsung is not a US company that even cares what the BBB says. What we have here is Samsung refusing to connect back to the Verizon network. It is a cut and dry Samsung issue. I still think it is likely to be an IP address thing. Most have no issues connecting to Samsung and those that do have problems are scattered all over the country. So it is not a regional issue. One previous poster is in S. CA and so am I. They cannot connect and I can, using the same network. So it is either a problem with the Samsung equipment itself (not likely since computers cannot get there either) or it is something like a firewall at the other end blocking some IP's.

theinfluencer
Enthusiast - Level 3

That's fine. Until I hear another provider that has issues I'll stick with Verizon and Samsung.

0 Likes
spacedebris
Master - Level 2

after a little research I found someone that fixed their issue. Supposidly his tv was set up for S. America instead of N. America. Here is a Quote. Maybe someone can try this and see if it helps.

*****Credit to aesanch on the cnet forums*****

Problem Finally Solvedby aesanch 

Well, finally after looking into several forums, I figure it out. My TV came configured for S.America from factory. It is necessary to change this setting from the "service menu", it turns out to be something like the bios configuration in a PC.

The service menu is a tool employed by Samsung techs for special configurations. I must warn that entering into this menu will void your warranty. Also, any change in this menu can severly damage your TV. So it is better if you just change what you need and nothing else.

According to my search in forums I found two ways of enetering into the service menu, from which only one worked with my TV. Apparently TVs manufactured for Europe/Asia use the following sequence of key pressings to enter the service menu,

Turn TV off
Press Info
Press Menu
Press Mute
Turn TV on

For America, the key sequence is,

Turn TV off
press mute
press 1
press 8
press 2
Turn TV on

The TV will turn on with a menu on the left side. I have to insist that any bad change in this menu can seriously mess your TV, so be cautious!! (use the up and down arrows to navigate and ENTER to enter into an option. Use the left and right arrow to select within options to change.

Once in the menu

Go into "Options"
Change Medialink Type = America
Press return until you reach the main menu
Go into "Control"
Go into "Sub Option"
Change infolink Country = to the country you wish except for NONE
Turn TV off, turn TV on

Press Internet@TV and voila.

theinfluencer
Enthusiast - Level 3

I'll look at that info but I think based on all I've research if you can't get to the Samsung download center the Internet TV won't work.

Has anyone figured out exactly what address or IP address the TV's are trying to get to?

0 Likes
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

@spacedebris -- very interesting discovery.   While I'm not one to typically go messing with the setup options that can toast the tV warranty, this interesting discovery makes sense.   It would also explain why it might not operate for some -- I would expect that Samsung might be taking steps to block "out of region" traffic or direct them to the appropriate servers and not allowing people to get to other servers to which they are not supposed to be accessing -- for either governmental or regulatory reasons.    This could indeed track to the nature of the specific problem some users are experiencing.     Further, if for some reasons certain network ranges were misidentified in whatever database Samsung is using to deliver this refirection (or not identified at all), this could explain why the traffic may appear to get blackholed from certain network ranges.   It all makes sense in the grand scheme of trffic management, etc.   Samsung is indeed blocking or dropping the traffic -- but just not for the reasons we possibly speculated.

Re: Can't connect to Samsung Internet@tv
theinfluencer
Enthusiast - Level 3

I spoke to Samsung level 2 and basically they said "there is a problem with Samsung and FIOS and they are working together to resolve the issue". The answer was completely canned and with no direction or where the problem exists. I pressed them for more information and they repeated the statement. At least Samsung had something to say something alot more then I can say for Verizon at this point.

I am working on getting the specific details and will post here when I have them.