Issue with Microsoft Lync
DJDaveET
Enthusiast - Level 2

I use Microsoft Lync for Mac for work.

Up until this week, it worked fine.  No issues, very fast, etc.     Since using it this week, it will log in, and then immediately log out again with an error that the service is unavailable.

However, if I switch my computer's connection to our Cox Communications line (we have two to the house), everything is fine.  Literally no other change -- same firewall, same internal network, etc.  The only difference is the routing to the internet -- I leave the other comptuers on Verizon, but route a work computer via Cox.

I can replicate this problem on multiple clients within the network -- so it's not the client.  And, move the client outside the network (tether to my phone, for instance), and it works too.

The problem HAS to be Verizon then -- so what changed?  And how do I get it fixed?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Issue with Microsoft Lync
DJDaveET
Enthusiast - Level 2

Wanted to follow up on this.  Turns out it WAS A verizon issue.    There was a bandwidth issue in my region, and after that was solved, the problem went away.

Thus, clearly a Verizon peering problem.  

View solution in original post

0 Likes
JustinG1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Hello,

I'm assuming that for the Centurylink connection you have a seperate router, correct? And for the Verizon connection, are you using a Verizon router, and if so, what model? It is sounding like an issue at the router since other computers are also experienceing this problem.

I personally have never used Lync before, so apologizes if I can't be much help. But something that may help is changing your DNS Servers. The default ones that Verizon gives aren't always the best in the world.

To change your DNS Servers from the actiontec router (again, assuming thats what your using), just follow these steps:

1. Login to your router at http://192.168.1.1 (The username and password are on the bottom of the router if you don't know the login details)
  2. Click the "My Network" tab on the top bar.
  3. Click the "Network Connections" tab on the side menu
  4. Click "Broadband Connection (Ethernet/Coax)"

Next, click the "Settings button" on the next page.

Don't be worried by all the settings. All we need to do is find the option for "DNS Server", which is about half way down the page.

Last few steps!

Click the "Obtain DNS Server Address Automatically" and select  "Use the Following DNS Server Addresses" instead. 2 new text boxes will appear under the dropdown.

In these boxes, for Primary and Secondary DNS Server, type these two addresses in:

After that, just scroll down to the bottom of the page and click "Apply". Your router will say "Applying Settings"

Lastly, you can close the router page. On one of your computers, open up "Command Prompt" (You can open this by going to the windows start menu > typing Command Prompt in the search bar)

Once the window pops up, just type "ipconfig /flushdns"

This clears your computer's DNS cache from the old servers.

Now test again, and hopefully you will be able to connet again.

***NOTE: If you aren't using a Verizon/actiontec router, disregard my tutorial***

CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Have you tried a traceroute to see where it dies?

In the end, you will need to contact Verizon support.

DJDaveET
Enthusiast - Level 2

Yeah, I don't use Verizon's DNS servers -- I use OpenDNS, and that's consistent across either setup.

Actiontec Router.  I'd have to go pull the model number.   

0 Likes
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

I don't use Lync but I'm experiencing what may be a similar problem with Skype so I thought I'd throw in a few comments.

Just recently I started having a problem when Skype-ing with a contact in Europe.  His feed to me was completely normal.  HD with a data rate of ~5 mb/s.  Where as I always used to feed him at something like 2.5 mb/s, now my upload to him is lmited to something around 350 kb/s. 

While there's zero packet loss in the direction from him to me, there's anywhere up to 12% loss from me to him.  So I ran a bunch of tests and here's some of what I found.

If I run speedtest.net to a non-Verizon server but not far away, NYC or anywhere in northern NJ, I get normal results for my 75/75 plan, results being ~80/80 or slightly better.

If I run a test to a server near my Skype contact in Denmark I get normal download speed but upload as low as 1 mb/s.

If I run tests to servers in the States, the download speeds are consistent all the way to the west coast.  But upload speeds start to taper off as I connect to servers further west.  In Chicago I was seeing ~80/60 but in the Bay Area, Silocon Valley, I saw as low as 1 mb/s and never and higher than 10 mb/s upload.

I tried changing my WAN IP.  No difference.  I tried changing DNS choices.  No difference.

But this is significant....if I make a Skype connection using my AT&T cellular data, the flakey upload is gone.  No packet loss and I'm back to sending normal HD video.

The bottom line is although I have no clue what is actually going on, something seems to be happening that is having a negative impact on upload connection once well out of the Verizon network.  I well understand that Verizon can't be responsible for all that happens on the global Internet, but it does seem like this new bizarre issue is specific to my Verizon service.  I'm just hoping it is cleared up in the near future.

I'll be very interested to hear if anyone else is having any similar problem....or not.  Smiley Wink

0 Likes
skipper04

Did you get a resolution?

0 Likes
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

skipper04 wrote:

Did you get a resolution?

I don't know if you were asking the OP or me, but if it's me...funny you should ask.

Yesterday I was still having the problem I described.  This morning...it's gone.  Fixed.  Back to normal.

Keeping my fingers crossed that whatever was causing the problem will stay fixed, and that others who were having the problem, including the OP, have also had the problem magically disappear. 

Smiley Wink

0 Likes
JustinG1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Seems like it had to be an issue with Verizon's peering to Micrsoft's skype servers.

Good to hear it was resolved for you Smiley Happy

0 Likes
DJDaveET
Enthusiast - Level 2

Wanted to follow up on this.  Turns out it WAS A verizon issue.    There was a bandwidth issue in my region, and after that was solved, the problem went away.

Thus, clearly a Verizon peering problem.  

0 Likes