Issues using own router with FIOS
RobRoy1

I recently replaced the Verizon router with my own Modem ( ARRIS SURFboard Docsis 3.1 Gigabit Speed Cable Modem and Router (Tenda AC15 AC1900 Wireless Wi-Fi Gigabit Smart Router). The previous Verizon FIOS modem has both an ONT and MoCA. I followed the steps in the forum post https://forums.verizon.com/t5/Fios-Internet/Using-your-own-router-with-Verizon-FiOS/td-p/851632. I released the DHCP Lease, and connect my own modem and router, and the internet worked fine. I was able to connect all of my devices. However, by Day 3, mobile phone devices and tablets would no longer connect. However, my Smart TV and Amazon Fire would still remain connected and continued to work. By day 5, all devices stopped connecting. I eventually had to reconnect the old Verizon router. The only step I failed to do was to call a Verizon rep to switch my FiOS Internet connection switched from MoCA to Ethernet at the ONT because I have both ONT and MoCA. I’m not sure if that caused the issue because the Internet service worked for a short time period.  Any help would be appreciated in correcting this problem. I am definitely tired of renting a router, when I have my own.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Issues using own router with FIOS
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

Do not attach a DOCSIS modem to a FiOS system, it will not work and will only cause confusion and problems.

FIOS does not use modems.  FiOS uses an ONT and a router; they are two separate devices.  You must use the Verizon ONT.  If you do not have Verizon TV service with their set-top-boxes, you can use any router you want.

If you’ve not yet switched your ONT from MoCA WAN to Ethernet WAN, contact Verizon and they can do it for you in a few minutes.  Then, you can easily attach whatever router you want to the ONT’s Ethernet port.  There is no need to release IP addresses anymore, as Verizon now lets you have two at the same time.

If you have Verizon set-top-boxes, I recommend sticking with a Verizon router.  If you don’t want to rent one, you can purchase one new from Verizon or used online.  If you by a used one, make sure the seller has a fair return policy in case there are issues.

Good Luck.

View solution in original post

Re: Issues using own router with FIOS
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

Do not attach a DOCSIS modem to a FiOS system, it will not work and will only cause confusion and problems.

FIOS does not use modems.  FiOS uses an ONT and a router; they are two separate devices.  You must use the Verizon ONT.  If you do not have Verizon TV service with their set-top-boxes, you can use any router you want.

If you’ve not yet switched your ONT from MoCA WAN to Ethernet WAN, contact Verizon and they can do it for you in a few minutes.  Then, you can easily attach whatever router you want to the ONT’s Ethernet port.  There is no need to release IP addresses anymore, as Verizon now lets you have two at the same time.

If you have Verizon set-top-boxes, I recommend sticking with a Verizon router.  If you don’t want to rent one, you can purchase one new from Verizon or used online.  If you by a used one, make sure the seller has a fair return policy in case there are issues.

Good Luck.