Issues with G3100 Losing Connection
toomanydrops

Hi all, have a G3100 and experience intermittent lag/drops from the router itself losing connection to the internet.  This has been ongoing for a couple months.  Today I replaced it with my old Quantum 1100 and have had solid connection all day.  Do I have a bad G3100?  I tried it both native wireless and with an eero system bridged, all with the same experience.

0 Likes
Re: Issues with G3100 Losing Connection
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

#1 While we get that you have FIOS Internet, do you also have FIOS TV?

#2 How are the computers connected to the router? If there are computers by wire and others by wireless, say by saying mixed.

Corsair1

I am on my second G3100 router, both brand new, and am continuing to have the same problems:

- After working great for a day or two (sometimes less), WiFi connections drop on both our phones and laptop computers (2 of each). Sometimes they come back on their own, other times I have to reset the router. When it is working, speed and range are excellent.

- When the WiFi is down, ethernet connections at the router still work.

- Sometimes my Pixel 3XL phone will repeatedly toggle between full WiFi connectivity (icon no less than 3/4 full) and disconnected. It will do this about once a minute.

- We also have issues where our computer or phone Sonos apps periodically cannot connect to our Sonos system. Usually they eventually connect on their own, but then they might unexpectedly drop again. Most times Sonos works fine, but those are not the times you remember!

- We have Fios TV (no issues).  

Summary: I upgraded my service, including this router, in Dec. 2019. I have seen its potential, but am dismayed by the router's unreliable service. I work from home (sounds familiar?) and got disconnected in the middle of a teleconference today. Not good, and not what I am paying for! Any recommendations would be appreciated. I am only moderately knowledgeable about issues like this.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Try turning off the SON feature. Some devices don't like Access Point Steering and Band Steering.

toomanydrops

For my network:

#1  Yes I do have FIOS TV One with all 3 boxes connected via coaxial

#2 Yes my network has mixed connections

When I lose internet the network stays up and devices are connected, the admin page shows "Disconnected" on Connection Status

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

#1 Do you have your own separate NAT Router?

#2 Note this could be a hardware router or turning a spare computer into acting as a NAT router (use google or otherwise and lookup: DIY router).

#3 If you still have your old FIOS router (Quantum 1100) around, why not:

a) Use the Quantum 1100 to handle the connection to the net.

b) and if you want to use the newer router, why not use it only for the wireless connection?

I ask part b, since I see that the Quantum 1100 is only Wireless AC and your newer router is Wireless 6 (AX).

As how to do part b, it goes like this but not including how to switch from the G3100 to the 1100 as your primary NAT router.

#1 In the primary NAT router (1100):

a) Find the DHCP Range

b) Adjust the Range as need be so that it does not occupy the whole subnet.

For example with the primary IP Address 192.168.1.1 with the subnet mask of 255.255.255.0, the first DHCP Address that it handles out is 192.168.1.2 and the last DHCP Address that it handles out is 192.168.1.254 - then you could change the the first DHCP Address that it handles out so that it is 192.168.1.00.

#2 For the secondary NAT router (G3100) have it disconnected at this step (both from the net and from the primary NAT router) and then:

a) Set it's LAN IP Address with the same Subnet as the primary but outside of the DHCP Range of the Primary router's DHCP Range.

For example with the primary IP Address 192.168.1.1 with the subnet mask of 255.255.255.0, the first DHCP Address that it handles out is 192.168.1.100 and the last DHCP Address that it handles out is 192.168.1.254 - then the other router's LAN IP Address could be 192.168.1.6

c) Disable the DHCP Server in the second RJ-45 WAN port NAT router.

#3 Once you make those changes, now you can connect both of those routers together but this time LAN to LAN.

#4 Profit 🙂

SANMAN2145
Enthusiast - Level 1

I replaced Comcast with Verizon FIOS several weeks ago and have been having simlar problems every day since.

The symptoms I experience, daily, are: my one wired connection always remains connected (until I reboot my router, of course) while every single one of my other connected devices (all wireless, of course) experience daily (or even more frequent) problems.  When Internet connectivity is available, my connection speeds/performance are acceptable (depending on device capability, they range from 200 to 650 Mbps download and 200-400 Mbps upload).

For a short time (initially, right after switching from Comcast to Verizon FIOS), I did have intermittent performance and basic wireless router connectivity problems but not since I set my router Wi-Fi modes for 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz both to "Compatibility" modes.  However, every day, at least once a day and often more, all of my devices (FireTV, laptops, desktops, iPADs, PlayStation, TVs, Blu-Ray players, Android phones - i.e., every device) enter a state reporting NO INTERNET CONNECTIVITY even though they can all (often) still "see" and remain connected to the router.

Rebooting the router resolves the issue until it enters the same state, once again.  Usually, if it's a "once a day" problem for that day, the problem happens sometime overnight because that's when it seems that I always have to reboot the router to restore Internet connectivity.  Also, fairly often, I can't even see the router anymore (from any device).

Everything has been completely replaced (i.e., router, ONT, Ethernet cable between router and ONT, etc.) at least once - the router twice.

I even disconnected all of my Ethernet over power devices and a couple of Netgear switches because the Verizon technicians suggested they were causing problems.  Some of those technicians, however, did not even know their equipment, telling me that it was a problem that the Ethernet port LEDs on the G3100 stopped working, for example (this is a normal behavior for the G3100 after a short period of time - I guess to preserve power?  Anyway, it is not a problem or an indication of a problem).

The symptoms definitely do not correlate to any local interference in my home - and my neighbors are too far away to be causing me much of a problem - and I have looked at the overlap and signal strengths of those during the problem periods and nothing jumps out at me saying it is a problem.  Also, the physical location of all of the most frequently used (and most problematic) devices never change - including two of my laptops.  I get 650 Mbps download and 380 Mbps upload from my Wi-Fi 6 capable devices consistently when Internet connectivity exists (based on a variety of speed testing tools - including Verizon, Comcast, Fast.com, OOKLA (speedtest.com), etc.).

I am about to revert back to Comcast for the sheer stability that I always experienced when using my own Netgear AC1900 model C7000 cable modem router.  I thought it would be "nice" to have Gigabit connectivity but NOT at the price of such ridiculous instability.  I never cared that many of my devices (especially those connected via Ethernet over power to/through 100 Mbps switches) could not achieve any better than about 85-90 Mbps.  But I usually experienced very good availability.  The only time I had problems was when physical issues arose (blown power booster, GFI-circuits in my home causing problems with the booster, somebody messing with the cable junction boxes down the street, etc.).

Of course, it could be something with the Verizon network - e.g., not allowing/maintaining connection with my router for some reason unrelated to basic capability and, instead, related to permissions or policy or configuration or something like this.  In my opinion, whatever the case, Verizon engineers should be focused on my issue and those with similar problems - to resolve the availability problems that so many of us are, apparently, experiencing.  Instead, folks with the same level of technical knowledge (and abilities) keep appearing when I call and they leave without diagnosing and resolving the root cause of the problem.  I have to keep calling and calling and am tired of investing my time in solving their problem.  They should RESOLVE the problem or prove to me that it is NOT THEIR EQUIPMENT / NETWORK / ETC.

Personally, I think it is the G3100, in my case, but that's a wild-**bleep** guess, since I am not an electronics engineer.

VERIZON: Please send devote some time and effort to gather "deep diagnostics" on my situation so that the root cause can be explained and so that an engineering solution (perhaps, as simple as a firmware change!!!) can be developed to make FIOS at least as stable and available as Comcast has been for years, now!!!

gbsand81
Enthusiast - Level 2

How do I turn off the SON feature?

Zoar
Enthusiast - Level 3

I have the same issue, And I found out the cause I of it.   My work laptop.  Everything is fine & stable.  But the moment my work laptop connects to network, wireless or Ethernet, it hangs router.  

My issue is then every device either looses connection or just internet every minute.  I have 3 other laptops that are fine.  And phones, home devices, desktops, etc.  It's like my laptop starts a denial of service attack the second it's connected.  

The solution is to reboot router with laptop on.  As soon as I do that all works normally.  But I shouldn't have to reboot router everyday.  Plus doesn't make sense how device can affect router like this, but this router is doing more than old one.  (Actiontec)  

Gladly buy beer to someone who can figure this out.  Work IT updated drivers so far on laptop with no change.   Another possible clue is sometimes the router shows the VPN mac address on the connection screen of the gateway.  Work says that is normal, but my other VPN machine doesn't do that.   I don't want to replace router and this still happens on new one.  What could laptop be doing?  It locked down so I don't have a lot of access to see/change some settings on my own.

0 Likes
Vangie1

I just replaced my old Fios router MI424WR with G3100 today working hand in hand with the Verizon Tech online via chat. Now I learned a big lesson not to trust this company by trying to sell untested hardware like this router that make my kids miserable by their online class. Because they rely only from the internet as this time of pandemic situation. All two Verizon Tech never solve to connect this router to their own network and the worse situation my old router was affected and can’t even connected with their internet services. A schedule of physical technician is scheduled for tomorrow to fix the issue. This router is part of my TV Fios One upgrade I bought it directly to Verizon. I hope Verizon will test first the hardware before they will sell it to their market. 

0 Likes