Re: Issues with G3100 Losing Connection
Vangie1

I hope FCC will cross read this Verizon forum regarding their faulty equipment trying to sell to their consumers as part of their services such as the internet. They have to stop selling this faulty router G3100 if they are not sure the efficiency and workability as they themselves (believe it or not their Technical Service Personnel) have no technical idea about this this on how solve it. Verizon is not ready yet for 5G service as they need and required to hire a competent, reliable and experienced technicians or engineers to fix any issue that their consumer may experience.  

0 Likes
Zoar
Enthusiast - Level 3

My issue was resolved!!!!  (knocking on wood as I type that)

They had a technician come to my home to resolve.  He didn't come in, but that's ok, as he still fixed it.  He replaced my connection to the router from coaxial to cat6 cable.  He also looked at my connected network and made suggestions.  From this my issue was fixed. 

I think the issue is this new router, the 3100, is very advanced, but sensitive.  The issue could have been the connection to the POTs box in the basement, or one of my devices was causing an IP conflict.  With that knowledge I was able to resolve the issue.  I'm thrilled with the technician.  He parked outside my house and talked me through everything, making changes on his side, all from his van.  (covid precautions; thats fine)

My frustration was, and kinda still is, that my fix wasn't brain surgery, but it took someone with knowledge of technology and their systems/equipment to immediately see potential issues, and he was right.  So much frustration on my end, and many phone calls to their support, online/phone system/person, to troubleshoot this.  Covid conditions now are not the excuse for this customer support because I've run into this level of support a couple times before, years before too. 

toomanydrops

@Zoar, I'm slightly confused but are you suggesting that moving to ethernet from coax fixed your connection challenges with the G3100?

0 Likes
Zoar
Enthusiast - Level 3

Unfortunately I didn't do each step, one day at a time, to test if each one fixed issue.  That's why I listed what I did. 

More clearly.  went from coax to cat6 to router from basement terminal.  Also took off a linksys router being used as a switch.  Also updated/edited laptop that seemed to be primary device that started issue when connected to network/booted up. 

The cat6/coax change is probably the least likely factor.  The linksys that worked fine with previous verizon router, may be been most likely subject.   i couldn't afford to pull things on/off to see which 'broke' it again, as I have college students and working from home going on.  So when it started working, I didn't touch a thing.  Not really scientific, but I had up/down internet for 3 weeks almost, so now we can get back to work as normal.

So if issue was a bandwidth straining issue, the cat6 cable surely helped.  If it was an IP conflict, then it was either my laptop or linksys.  (laptop still connected and working now after drivers updated, etc)  Most likely the linksys; if my previous verizon router used different IP structure, and this new one uses same as linksys, then that makes sense to a root cause.

When I mentioned my laptop in the mix above, I do so because that was the device that seemed to start the issue when booted up.  It also uses VPN, which on the 3100 was taking up it's own network connection with an IP of 10.206......  So I wonder if that was the issue.  What I did to resolve this is I blocked this connection; the vpn network connection in the myverizongateway router interface.   Its been working fine since.

See, so there are so many factors changed all on the same day, that I don't know exactly what fixed root cause.  Maybe it was combination of linksys & laptop/vpn connection being blocked.  maybe I needed the coax taken out of the loop too, because my TV, which has to use coax, seem slower than usual, if slightly. 

I was just pleased to connected with that local technician that knew this stuff, and got me working again.  I hope this helps you or someone else that is having issues.  It seems the 3100 is a more sensitive router, BUT, when it works it works great!

OH, another item, which may or may not be an issue.  tech & I both noticed in logs of router that when my desktop, connected via ethernet, first connects, it connects at 10MB, then right after it disconnects and reconnects as 1GB connection.  Anyone else see that?  May be driver issue on my PC?  I wonder if base drivers are only 10mb, and when pc is fully boot up, the correct drivers take over with 1gb connection?  If you have seen this last thing, and know more, I'd love to hear it. Doesn't seem to cause any issues at this point for me, but....

0 Likes
harley8004
Enthusiast - Level 3

If you still have the G-1100 Verizon Gateway router reconnect that until the issue with the G-3100 resolved, someday. I had 2 G-3100 's and both did the same problem you described. Works for a day then stops working on WiFi. The 5 GHz band works but any device connecting to 2.4 GHz band stops working in the router until you reboot it then the cycle continues. Verizon needs to look into this new router they're trying to push out. No good 😠

0 Likes
tpcaz

I just wanted to reply after reading your post and wanted to let you know you are not alone. I received my GE 3100 on May 12th thinking it would be a great upgrade from the 1100. I have had nothing but problems ever since. My desktop works one day and then the next it doesn't. The same thing with other devices in the house. I've centrally located my 3100 router and it's in the exact same place the 1100 was. there is an obvious problem with a router that is supposed to outperform the previous versions and yet continues to create problems. I have spent all day today trying everything that is been recommended, and I guarantee you tomorrow I'll be starting all over again.

0 Likes
Zoar
Enthusiast - Level 3

Does the issue go away if you reboot the router? 

Do you have any other switches/routers on your network? 

I think this 3100 is very sensitive to any conflicts on the network.  Probably has something to do with the on-the-fly switching it does for it's wireless connections.  Or some underlying tech that supports that.  If you have an IP conflict that shuts this router right down.  Rebooting fixed it for me when it was happening to me, and of course, because on reboot, the devices that were conflicting just took another IP address.  That is until the offending device reboot also.

Ever since I took that other router off my network, the issue has gone away.  Something else that may have helped/resolve my issue is they switched me from Coaxial connection to LAN connection from the POTs box to my router.  How are you connected?

0 Likes
Warbler1
Enthusiast - Level 1

Your post resonated with me. I’m having the same problem and I am not only tired of calling to reset the ONT, I am also tired of being told that “your internet has been on we can’t see a problem”. I insist over and over again the router is losing connection randomly and it seems like a router issue. After 2 hours on hold to connect with a technician I was told by the (very nice) technician who wanted to help to Disable the Self-Organizing Network and to assign my work computer to the 2.4Ghz signal an maintain my TV, cell phone, and personal laptop on the 5Ghz signal. He believed this would help and said that the router was basically hopping between each signal according to best strength available, so in disabling it I would prevent the router from auto switching. This apparently did not resolve the issue and I have now been disconnected via the router for 1 hour (usually it’s between a minute to 30). I am BEYOND frustrated. I am losing productivity at work. It is not an appropriate solution or helpful to be told I simply need to hard wire into the ONT. First of all that’s not possible due to the layout of my house and the hardwire into the house from Verizon’s exterior line, secondly I’m not going to continue to rent a faulty piece of equipment.

im increasingly discouraged to learn that even a newer device (assuming I got a lemon) is likely to be an issue as well. Unacceptable, Verizon. Do better. If all of us are having this much trouble then there’s something going on here...

Edrockvz
Enthusiast - Level 3

I just made a long post about this. Glad to see I'm not the only one. The post about a particular laptop causing issues was particularly intriguing. If I have time this week I'll see if mine is a specific device and do some packet captures to see if the issue can be narrowed. 

See my long post for details, but in my case the router starts to drop packets when bandwidth exceeds 300+mbs total. From the way the router is behaving and dropping packets under load, it almost seems as though it's creating some sort of internal route loop. 

If everyone who has the g3100 could post there exact setups, it could be helpful. For example mine:

G3100 on Ethernet WAN connection with FiOS gigabit service

All 4 Ethernet LAN ports populated, 3 @ 1gig and 1 at 100mbs

2 e3200 mesh nodes using coax backhaul, no devices attached to their Ethernet ports

1 Verizon moca 2.5 Ethernet bridge with 3 1gb Ethernet devices attached

One wifi 6 smartphone attached, everything else is 802.11g/n/ac

Both 2.4 and 5ghz networks are on compatibility mode, son, qmm and powersave enabled, dfs disabled. 

0 Likes
Zoar
Enthusiast - Level 3

One thing I didn't mention, was my early troubleshooting.  This may help you.  reboot the router, but before you do, disconnect all devices from the wireless.  Your goal is to reboot the router and have just one device on the network.  Work for a while,  ok?  add another device.  In your case I'd wait the 30 minutes. 

By doing this, you may find the offender.  Remember to include any other routers or switches you have on your network, like I had.  (and which was my offender) 

You can monitor this by going into the myfiosgateway.com router maintenance menu, and view your network connections.  When I did this, I just had my desktop connected via cat5, and fios TV cablebox, which you can't really 'turn off'.  Then I added my work laptop, etc.

Maybe this will help you find the offender.  Something is causing the issue, and for me it didn't matter if it was wireless or wired, so don't waste your time with any wireless troubleshooting, unless you are ONLY having wireless issues.

0 Likes