Re: Issues with G3100 Losing Connection
Zoar
Enthusiast - Level 3

Edrockvz, I just saw your post after replying to the guy before you. 

I don't know what they are exactly, but those: 2 e3200 mesh nodes using coax backhaul and 1 Verizon moca 2.5 Ethernet bridge, may be the culprits.   I put all my money on one of these devices. 

My issue was my linksys router I was using as a bridge was trying to give out IPs to the devices connected via cat5 to them, and Linksys uses the same IP scheme as the 3100, so Boom, the first device, sometimes my work laptop, got a duplicate IP as something else assigned it by the 3100, and the 3100 didn't know what to do so it hung.

When I was rebooting my 3100, the linksys didn't reboot, and the device that had the conflict IP from the 3100 got a new IP with the reboot, and viola, no more issues for the day. 

For you I would start with taking those devices off the network, and see what happens. 

0 Likes
Edrockvz
Enthusiast - Level 3

Appreciate the tips. I'm confident I have no other routers or DHCP enabled devices on my lan. In this case, it's not an IP conflict, its litterally the g3100 dropping packets (and killing sessions) then rebounding. The e3200 is Verizon's official mesh extender nodes for the g3100. The moca adapter bridge is Verizon's official moca 2.5 coax to Ethernet bridge. All these devices rely on the g3100 for IP addressing. 

I did a few packet traces and interestingly enough just prior to my router starting to drop packets the traces show a large number of out of order packet errors. This seems to go along with my theory of a route loop. I suspect it has something to do with how the g3100 does igmp proxying but I'm not certain. I only know enough about that level of networking to be dangerous vs helpful. 😁 But I'll keep looking around. 

I've already run a scan against my internal network to ensure I don't have any devices I "forgot" about as well as did a physical survey of all cabled endpoints. 

0 Likes
harley8004
Enthusiast - Level 3

@Zoar wrote:

My issue was resolved!!!!  (knocking on wood as I type that)

They had a technician come to my home to resolve.  He didn't come in, but that's okay, as he still fixed it.  He replaced my connection to the router from coaxial to cat 6 cable.  He also looked at my connected network and made suggestions.  From this my issue was fixed. 

I think the issue is this new router, the 3100, is very advanced, but sensitive.  The issue could have been the connection to the POT's box in the basement, or one of my devices was causing an IP conflict.  With that knowledge I was able to resolve the issue.  I'm thrilled with the technician.  He parked outside my house and talked me through everything, making changes on his side, all from his van.  (covid precautions; that's fine)

My frustration was, and kinda still is, that my fix wasn't brain surgery, but it took someone with knowledge of technology and their systems/equipment to immediately see potential issues, and he was right.  So much frustration on my end, and many phone calls to their support, online/phone system/person, to troubleshoot this.  Covid conditions now are not the excuse for this customer support because I've run into this level of support a couple times before, years before too. 

I changed the ONT ether cable from cat 6 to cat 8 and this still didn't fix the issue. my g 3100 still shut down the 2.4 wireless. i reverted back the the g 1100 and everything restored. when will Verizon fix the g 3100 issue.

0 Likes
Edrockvz
Enthusiast - Level 3

As far as I can tell, the g3100 simply doesn't do SON well. I have the main router plus 2 extenders on coax. I noticed in the logs a lot of messages about wireless devices, which weren't "moving", getting bounced between nodes. It's almost as if the node releasing the device doesn't do so fast enough, and for a split second you have a mac registered on two nodes, causing a route loop anomoly, and dropping packets in that split second. 

When these handoffs occur my packet capture shows out of order packet errors for a split second as well, which lends itself to this theory but not necessarily the only cause of those types of errors. 

I disabled SON and so far things seem ok but we will see over time. 

I should note I also replaced the main router thinking it could be hardware, but same issue occurred. 

0 Likes
Zoar
Enthusiast - Level 3

Harley, Did you get a replacement 3100?  When they sent me one, I noticed that the bios version on my original one was older than the new one.   Maybe that update contributed to my 'fix'.  

If you haven't, maybe you need to try a replacement router.  Yours could just be defective.

0 Likes
gbsand81
Enthusiast - Level 2

My issue lasted for months -- the router had lousy coverage and would not connect with the (also new) Fios extender.  In addition, the TVs did not work.  This seemed to be connected to IP addresses interfering with each other.  I spent hours online with the (clueless) technician and had a technician come to my house.  At that point (about 6 weeks ago), they were not allowed to come inside and he could not fix the problem.   I got a replacement router and a replacement extender.  No difference.  I rebooted the whole system.  No difference.  I disabled the SON.  No difference.  But then last week I had another technician come inside the house because now they are allowed to do so.  He switched out the main box, but that didn't solve the problem.  Then he took out a signal booster in the basement, which apparently was causing interference with the system.  That did the trick -- problem solved.  So if you have a signal booster in your basement, take it out.  

0 Likes
Zoar
Enthusiast - Level 3

gbsand81, was the signal booster something you put in, or from the verizon initial install?

0 Likes
Maryeo
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have been following this stream since I have been having the same problem. Ever since switching out the G1100 router I have been having problems with dropped internet connections. Have had techs here three times. First time was because our phone line went dead. The port was switched. Second time because of the internet problems the ONT was replaced. Third time the G3100 router was swapped (4th unit after I had swapped some out in the interim). Anyway, still have the dropouts. Verizon sent me a G1100 router that itself is defective since it won't connect to my ethernet connected PC. I am now asking for another router. In the midst of this I replaced a couple of switches that seemed to be causing problems, though honestly I don't know it that was really the problem as opposed to the router.

0 Likes
Mae27
Enthusiast - Level 1

Wow.  I'm not the only one!!!   Problems since I got the G3100 and then a second... on the phone or chat with verizon all the time.  Upgraded to their premium technical service (24/7) but still on hold forever.   Some very nice people but I have had so many issues not resolved.    Was thinking of switching everything.  Even went to neighbors garage to do work yesterday to borrow their connection and remain socially distant 

SpiderOnTheWeb

The 3100 and 3200 are just trash. I'm hating life that I spent $500 on them. I should have gone with the Ubiquity like my conscience told me. 

I have lost countless hours of productivity, and in troubleshooting the problems for Verizon. This has been going on for months.

We've replaced the CAT-6, and ONT, removed my other networks (backup wifi AP, and a Dummy Switch for running my HCI). I've got roughly ~20 connected Wi-Fi devices, and SON. I have 1 TV hooked via Cat-6 into the 3200 Eth1 (3200 is using MoCA). I have 1 Wireless Smart Bridge Connected (Lutron) to the 3100. I've done my 4th or 5th Reset (when I get sick of reboots). 

Firmware Version:Hardware Version: 1.3.6.27 / 1103

0 Likes