Re: Issues with G3100 Losing Connection
Edrockvz
Enthusiast - Level 3

I'm going to try a test this week to narrow the issue. I will reattach my g1100 as my router, run some tests, then daisy chain one of my g3100's LAN ports to one of the g1100's LAN ports (with DHCP turned off and IP address changed on the g3100). Run some more tests. Then I will attach coax to the g3100, bringing the e3200 online, run some tests. If the latter tests drop packets, I will try moving the coax over to the g1100's coax port, rinse repeat.

My hope is this will definitively tell me one of the following:

A. If devices hanging off the G3100 drop packets but not the G1100, the g3100 has some serious bug/defect (Note, this is my second G3100 so not defective hardware.) If both G1100 and G3100 drop packets at the introduction of the G3100, even a larger problem (All devices connected straight to my G1100 prior never had packet drop issues. No new devices have been added since the switch.)

B. If devices work properly but drop packets once the coax is connected, then either the extenders or the moca switch is the issue, or possibly a bad coax cable, although I haven't changed any since the G1100. Then I'll further narrow from there.

C. If neither devices on the G1100 or the G3100 drop packets in this configuration, then the G3100 has a bug/defect in how it handles WAN based traffic. 

I suspect C will be the outcome. Reason being, I can replicate my issue with dropped packets. I will run a continuous ping to the routers internal IP, and another continuous ping to a public ip like 8.8.8.8. While the pings are running, I go to speedtest.net and run a speedtest. Everytime, the ping to 8.8.8.8 drops packets, the internal ping to 192.168.1.1 does not. This tells me the G3100 simply does not handle traffic over 300mbs over the WAN port properly. Under 300mbs bandwidth and everything seems fine. As soon as it starts to go over that, packets start dropping.

A packet capture during these tests show out of order packet errors, that do not occur when packets are not dropping. 

-Ed

0 Likes
Edrockvz
Enthusiast - Level 3

Yep, just did it, and option C. Everything works fine now. No dropped packets. Even the interface page on the G3100 after a few minutes shows hundreds if not thousands of send/receive drops. After 30m, the G1100 shows zero drops across the board. Something is very wrong with how the G3100 handles/relays WAN traffic.

0 Likes
chelly2

I think it's the router.  I'm having the same problem every day.  I'm pretty knowledgeable on how to set up the network.  My old router worked great.  I had the g1100.  But, something broke, so I ordered the new ne.  I've been having this problem ever since.  It's really hard to get customer service on the line, so i haven't talk to them yet.  This router must have a problem.

0 Likes
Edrockvz
Enthusiast - Level 3

It's 100% the router. See my post above with test results.

0 Likes
Edrockvz
Enthusiast - Level 3

Prior to putting the g1100 inline, my sent and received drops were in the thousands across all interfaces. Now, as you can see from the attached images, they are zero across the board for both the g1100 and the g3100 with the exception of wifi receive which is normal as devices like phones get out of range from the house and drop signal.

Edit* looks like it doesn't want to display my attached pictures. But all interfaces on the g1100 have zero packet drops on send and receive, and all interfaces on the g3100 also have zero drops except for the wifi, which shows only 132 packet drops on wifi receive in the last 24 hours. Before making this change they were in the 10's of thousands for send and receive across all interfaces.

0 Likes
Chatters

Was going to buy one of these today.  The Phillipino tech support guy was working hard to make the sale. Have gigabit that's not nearly providing the speed it should be.  But at least it works.  Sorry for your troubles but you saved me $300.

0 Likes
Martino2
Enthusiast - Level 1

I did this (turned off SON) and it worked for about 3 weeks perfectly, then again disconnected and/or was connected without internet. Very frustrating.

0 Likes
Mo_Rada

The problem is likely correlated to the DHCP table bug. If the device hostname connecting to the router has a space in it, you will either not get a DHCP IP at all, or it will eventually drop your lease. (exa. John's Iphone vs John Doe's iPhone)

Adjust your device name for spaces, substitute with "_" and see if that helps.

0 Likes
AnnoyedUserX
Enthusiast - Level 1

As of September 16, 2020 the original post on this issue thread has 6,100 views and no resolves. I do hope someone on the community team is monitoring. Even a courtesy post to confirm that the issue has been acknowledged would be something...

Mbelge

I had the same issue with brand new G3100 dropping internet connection about every 15 a 20 mins. My configuration is gs3100 connected to ONT via Ethernet. I used the coax connection on g3100 to create a moca network. On the other side I had the old verizon actiontech router (wan is from coax). This router provided wired Ethernet to a PS4 plus a separate Tenda wifi access point. My problem turned out with the moca network. I disconnected the moca and the router works like a champ right now. I beleive instabilities with this router is due to moca. 

0 Likes