Re: Issues with G3100 Losing Connection
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

Did you setup the second router correctly? I am wondering whether you need to change some settings on both ends. I will make myself a note here, so you believe it is the MoCA network causes the instability of WiFi. I am looking forward to seeing others' replies regarding this issue.

mysn95
Enthusiast - Level 2

I'm having issues as well

Determined it was my older work laptop running Windows 7.  When connected via ethernet and WiFi, I would lose connection on any device connected to the G3100 wifi.  

Work laptop was connected via wifi to an access point, not even dirrectly to the G3100.  

Disconnected ethernet and connected only via wifi to access point.    Turned off the SON on the G3100.  Everything was good but......  When I leave the house and come back, iPhone will not get an IP from the router right away and would then default to the 169..... ip address.  BUT would connect to access point with no issues.  

G3100 is the DHCP for all devices.  No conflicts with another router issuing IP addresses. 

Still lots of issues.  Hope they fix soon!!

0 Likes
Zoar
Enthusiast - Level 3

See my post way above.  My solution was to take my 'access point' off the network, as that was handing out conflicting IPs.  Sounds like your issue, since your phone coming back home can't get IP.  It probably did, but got conflicting one.  Try this.

0 Likes
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

An access point is a layer 2 device and it should not be overzealous to steal the job of a layer 3 device. Layer 2 devices do not and should not have DHCP servers.

What is the model of your access point?

Mbpe300
Enthusiast - Level 2

Found on another forum someone commented that disabling the 5 GHz access point on G3100 resolves the issues.

My connection drops and then inability to re-connect from random devices happen on 2.4 GHz only (I have SON disabled) so I suspect that it indeed might be related to some band interference and not necessary DHCP issue...

Even with SON disabled the router log shows:

[WIFI.6][ADV] SON-[2.4G]STA ...

maybe it's a bug that disabling the SON doesn't really turn it off completely or something like that.

0 Likes
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

The main problem probably is some devices do not support 802.11ax WiFi 6. Some wireless firmware was designed in a way that when detecting a 5GHz frequency, it assumes it is 802.11ac, which is not a safe assumption to make any more.

mysn95
Enthusiast - Level 2

So it seems its an issue only with my ios devices; iPad and iPhone

Android devices have no problems connecting and getting an IP address from the G3100 5ghz.

Both the Stream TV and a Samsung tablet connected and received an IP address

mysn95
Enthusiast - Level 2

Saw on another post about removing the spaces in the device name.  Trying this out now with my iPhone.  Rebooted the g3100 and it connected.  Let's see how long it lasts. 

Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

Does your Andriod devices' names contain spaces by default?

G3100 seems to enforce IETF hostname standards more strictly than G1100. A hostname only permits 0-9, A-Z, a-z, -, and .

Cross Reference: IETF RFC 952 "DOD INTERNET HOST TABLE SPECIFICATION," and RFC 1123 "Requirements for Internet Hosts -- Application and Support" section 2.1

This restriction is defined more than 30 years ago, I don't know why IOS still includes space bar in the default device name.

Mochadream5

Hi.  No it's not just isolated issue.  I cannot tell you how many calls I've made to Verizon Tech Support.  I'm so frustrated.  I lose connection on a regular basis. I was upgraded to G3100 router because Verizon sold me fact that it would be so much better and very fast speed....its NOT true. The white circle light on front of router should be Solid BRIGHT WHITE color. Mine is extremely dim white and connection throughout my home is awful. Internet drops in and out all day and evening. My cell phone data plan is adequate for my needs, it's not unlimited plan. Unless I'm traveling, I should never have an issue with overage charges or use close to all my data during monthly cycle. Since G3100 router is not performing properly, our cell phone data is used more often. I don't think it's a defected router because technicians have come (more than once) and said it works. The white light signal is strong and bright but within maybe a hour it's dim and patchy connection.  Verizon customer service now wants to send a 2nd G3100 router to see if that will help problem. Hell no!!! Another device means more monthly bill. It's already high. I would purchase a router but I'd need to research and see how it would work. If anyone has other suggestions I would like to know other options.  Thanks.

Be safe

BTW, I have WIRELESS  connection through router 

0 Likes