Re: Issues with G3100 Losing Connection Hopeful resolution
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

@twei214 wrote:

Are there non-verizon equipments I can use as an alternative to the E3200? It's basically a coax extender for my gigabit from the G3100

Yes. Also, since you are not utilizing the G3100 to its full potential, I recommend you to use an alternative for that as well. I believe you have a dedicated coax line between the locked room and your condo, so buy a pair of bonded MoCA adapters should work very well if you do not have TV service. My recommendation for non-Verizon MoCA adapter is goCoax 2.5 because it is slightly cheaper than Actiontec.

If you have FiOS TV or want to preserve the G3100 somehow, you have two options. One is Verizon/Actiontec ECB5240M, officially called "FiOS Network Adapter," which is a bonded MoCA 2.0 adapter with a 4-ethernet switch, costing $55 from Verizon. The other option is buying a third party compatible MoCA adapter, namely the goCoax 2.5 or Actiontec ECB6250. The latter device has no confirmation whether it works with G3100.

At this point, please open another thread so we do not need to scroll a mile down to see another post.

0 Likes
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

First of all, for privacy concerns, do not post MAC addresses or IP addresses.

At 2020 Nov 23 03:02:58, the DHCP transactions seem fine.  E3200 seems to have successfully renewed its IP address.

How did you set E3200 to static IP address? You configured on the G3100 for a static DHCP assignment?

0 Likes
twei214
Enthusiast - Level 1

I think i have solved the issues.

I observed the log more and noticed at every disconnect my E3200 was trying to get a DHCP response from a dead 192.168.1.xx IP.

So I came up with an idea what if I moved my G3100's DHCP from the 1.xx subnet to a different one.

So I changed the G3100's DHCP sever to 192.168.2.1 and the range of DHCP address from 2.2 to 2.99.

And this has worked so far the entire day without disconnect.

Talking to my co-workers during the day, they've also experienced E3200's behavior of rebooting itself when it "crashes." It seems like E3200 is very prone to error. Whenever something bad happens such as no dhcp responses, it just reboots itself instead of retrying... for some reason.

0 Likes
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

I am confused here. Does E3200 have a DHCP server too? I don't think so. By assigning your network to a different subnet, you virtually starts your DHCP lease from afresh. I believe you will encounter problems very shortly. I never used an E3200 and G3100 before, I can only make inferences from their user manuals.

@twei214 wrote:

Talking to my co-workers during the day...

You use "FiOS Home WiFi Extender" in an office environment? That's definitely not advisable. You can use enterprise-grade equipment at home, but home equipment is not "upward compatible" with business environment.

For a typical company (I am not even talking about medium business with multiple locations), I am expected to see Cisco, Aruba, Ubiquiti, and/or FS. I am not talking about companies or organizations with over 100 APs and 50 switches. In my opinion (maybe inherently biased), Cisco RV series are for small-medium businesses and are more affordable than a $300 G3100. They have decent access control and SPI, which the G3100s have yet to develop. For WiFi, I would use Cisco AC145 instead of E3200. G3100 and E3200 are sort of geared towards residential deployment, especially houses with only coax wiring. Just a quick stat: 60% of my home network is built by Verizon/Actiontec devices, and 40% by Cisco (with overkilling features).

0 Likes
twei214
Enthusiast - Level 1

I talked to them via slack, who also had same problem with E3200 just randomly reboot.

Just like you mentioned, the E3200 did finally reboot it self after about 13-14 hours. and Again, it was a DHCP related crash...

So I think the root of the problem is the e3200 just too frail.

0 Likes
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

Sorry for the misunderstanding. Ok. So, you have an E3200 and G3100 at home. Ok. I got it now. Then, I mean, can you install WireShark and capture the DHCP transactions? I maybe can inspect them deeply to render you a conclusion.

0 Likes
Re: Issues with G3100 Losing Connection
knowlengr

Agree.

I have a mostly 1 gig network with 6 switches (some hosting access points). Never had a problem with the Quantum, but immediately saw slower performance and occasional offline delays.  Caching limits full visibility to this symptom, but when I added two new switches, to add a few more (mostly wired) IoT and multimedia devices, the G3100 WAN port would go offline within a minute or two. It seems to experience this even with light traffic on the switches -- e.g., 1-2 client devices. My network has a fair # of devices for a home network (~40) but most are low bandwidth IoT.  Yes, a VPN and streaming services, but the problem happens whether or not the higher volume services are on the wire.

The G3100 feature set seems good, but there's something wrong somewhere. 

Not sure, but I doubt if this is connected to a DHCP issue as only the G3100 is dishing these out during experimentation. 

So I also conclude there is some sort of limitation in WAN capacity handling.  

0 Likes
SAW4

The G3100 is a total stinker and no one at Verizon is willing to admit it or interested in troubleshooting it. The dropped connections are easily re-creatable. Just try a large download; it will eventually lock up. Typical log entry is:

2020 Dec 15 17:27:16 info dnsmasq:[SYS.6][SYS] compile time options: IPv6 GNU-getopt no-DBus no-i18n no-IDN DHCP no-DHCPv6 no-Lua TFTP no-conntrack no-ipset no-auth no-DNSSEC no-ID loop-detect inotify
2020 Dec 15 17:27:17 warning arc_ntpdaemon:[NTP.4][SYS] New NTP client will be start, to terminated other NTP client
2020 Dec 15 17:27:17 info arc_ntpdaemon:[NTP.6][SYS] NTP client start
2020 Dec 15 17:27:17 warning arca-agent-loader:[DDNS.4][SYS] Fail to start DDNS

0 Likes
Pwattas
Enthusiast - Level 1

i have had the exact same experience. So frustrating since we also cut the cable cord and the TVs are impacted too

0 Likes
Beachey1

I am having  almost same issues. Without the TV service. Ready to ditch Verizon

0 Likes