Issues with SON and Internet Management
JB20202

I received the email on 11/20/19 that my router software had been upgraded to include the Self-Organizing Network (SON) feature. I recently tried to activate and have just experienced issue after issue. Whenever I go on the verizon my fios app or even log in online, I am not able to manage my internet at all. On the app I get an error which says "The Router is not responding and might be setting. Please wait for 1-2 minutes while the system re" and then below it on the bottom in red it says 'There was an error getting SON status. Click the cell to try again"

I have called verizon technical support and it was absolutely useless. I was on the phone for over an hour without any results. I have unplugged the router, factory reset the router, deleted the fios app and reinstalled it, etc. I really would like to use the SON feature but this has just been miserable. In addition, I have no way of managing my internet connections and settings without manually logging in to myfiosgateway.com . Also when i log in manually there is no way to enable or disable the SON. I followed instructions and the SON option is no where to be found on the myfiosgateway website.

If anyone has any ideas on how to hep I would greatly appreciate it!

0 Likes
Re: Issues with SON and Internet Management
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Go to Wireless Settings/Advanced Security Settings/ Other Advanced Wireless Options/Self-Organizing Network Enabled and set to Off

0 Likes
JB20202

I do not even have an option for SON in the settings where you said to go. I’ve tried thag

0 Likes
lignja

I  found the SON setting in my wireless device (iPhone 6s) and shut it off from there. It's very confusing to know what's where when one has WiFi devices as well as an Ethernet (PC) connection.

0 Likes
lignja

I've just tested the throughput to a bunch of websites with the SON disabled. Offhand I don't see much difference between SON on or off. The stated connection speeds are about the same, too. So why do we have to deal with this "upgrade"?

0 Likes
BonesDT

I'm having the exact same problem.  Got the email on 10/8/19 regarding the SON "software upgrade" and I have been trying since.  The MyFios app (IOS) just will not recognize my G1100 router for me to make any changes thru the app including adding the SON feature.  I did a factory reset (which is claimed to automatically upgrade to the latest firmware but didn't) and reinstalled the app.  I kept all the default SSID's and passwords and settings.  Verizon support could only conclude it's an app developer issue.

My router's UI version is 1.0.210; Firmware version 01.04.00.10-FTR; and Hardware version 1.03 (there is no "software" version).  Apparently, the firmware should be at least 02.02.00.14.

0 Likes
AndyMerk

Would this be with my Fios mobile app or my device (iPad). Thanks

0 Likes
LawrenceC
Moderator Emeritus

As this thread is now over two years old, it will be locked in order to keep discussions current. If you have the same or a similar question/issue we invite you to start a new thread on the topic.

0 Likes