Issues with second router disconnecting and reconnecting
Clueless777

My second wireless router keeps disconnecting... it reboots then becomes availble after a minute.

The second wireless router is a Netgear WNDR3400v2 and is connected to a Actiontec MI424WR via an ethernet wire. I changed the settings as noted in a forum post to hook up a second router... the setting changes fixed the issues with IP address conflicts that I was having. The issue is that the Netgear router keeps disconnecting. The Actiontec router never disconnects.

There are 16 devices connected to the internet.

Parts of my house don't get a signal from the Actiontec router.  

Please let me know if you have any suggestions on enabling more wireless coverage throughout my house from my Actiontec router and/or how to stop the Netgear router from disconnecting. I can't find any specific information that isn't confusing. 

My Actiontec router is on the main floor in a cabinet, which prevents the signal from reaching to parts of the house... there is an ethernet cable that runs from the cabinet to a room upstairs, which is where the Netgear router is located... that signal reaches most of the house.

0 Likes
Re: Issues with second router disconnecting and reconnecting
Verizon_Support
Customer Service Rep

Hi Clueless777,

Most likely if your Netgear router is randomly disconnecting but the Actiontec is not, it's going to be an issue with your settings in the router. There is a post over at http://www.dslreports.com/faq/12506 that will tell you exactly how the settings should be in both routers for this to work properly.

As to increasing the signal from the Actiontec router, a couple of things come to mind but you may have already did these things. First, make sure to change the wireless channel in the Actiontec to something like 8. Also, make sure that no cordless phones are located nearby the Actiontec router as much as you can. We mention this because many cordless phones operate in the 2.4ghz range which is the range of most WiFi routers and devices. You could also look into getting a range extender but I wouldn't recommend it because your Netgear router is essentially doing the same function without sacrificing service. Other than these suggestions, take a look at the link above and make sure your settings match. That should help you out more so than changing the channel in the Actiontec router and/or relocating cordless phones.

We hope that this helps.

CJ

0 Likes