It it ok to move fios router??
Daedelus

OK question is pretty basic and got a back story aswell. So i am trying to find out if it is ok to move my fios/cable router to a diffrent room( coax/cable ) plug, or if it is set up to send the info only to that paticular one the origonaly set the router up to.

I had been using USB wireless adapters to recieve my signal in my upstairs bedrooms and it dawned on me why not move the router up stairs and plug in all the computers with cat5 cable direct.

thank you for your time.

0 Likes
Re: It it ok to move fios router??
cjacobs001
Contributor - Level 3
YES, it is OK to move the router, HOWEVER,  a 'currently-unused' coax jack may not be connected to your splitter.   The signal is not assigned to only one jack.   You can hook your router up to any ACTIVE coax jack, including to use a new splitter off a currently used jack.   If the coax jack that you intend to use is not hooked to the splitter, it is only a matter of doing so.
prisaz
Legend
Also if you have a currently unused coax jack and it is or is not connected to your splitter, it should be higher quality RG-6 coax. This is required to operate at the higher frequencies for the router or Internet Protocol (IP) to a set top box.
Message Edited by prisaz on 05-20-2009 06:24 PM
0 Likes
jeffmtnman
I also need to move my modem/router but only to a diffrent part of the present room. I will need to unplug the power cord and plug it in elseware. whats the safest way to proceed and will everything automatically reconnect when I power up the modem/router
0 Likes
prisaz
Legend

@jeffmtnman wrote:
I also need to move my modem/router but only to a diffrent part of the present room. I will need to unplug the power cord and plug it in elseware. whats the safest way to proceed and will everything automatically reconnect when I power up the modem/router
Turn off the power switch to the router, unplug it, move it to the new location, plug it in, turn the power switch on, and wait for the Internet light to turn green. When the Internet light turns green, the router should have a good connection back to the Internet. Also if you have any computers on, you may need to reboot them. If your PCs are on, they may just be fine without rebooting them. Cycling the power on the router is no different then if you have a power failure in your house.
Message Edited by prisaz on 05-22-2009 05:31 PM
0 Likes
jeffmtnman
Great. Thanks.
0 Likes