Its been almost 2 Weeks...SLOW DL SPEED
peterjun

My download speed has been really slow recently. my package is 20/5 and now im getting 0.4/2.6.

Whenever I called customer services, they asked me to do the same things. (reboot your modem, turn off your computer, go to speedguide.net, and optimize your setting and so on and on...)

Some of them admitted that they have a problem and others did not. I think that they have been received some complaints and they know about it but they couldnt pinpoint what exactly caused this.

I called them 4 times already, and they keep saying that i should wait and see.

Yesterday I researched some other FIOS forum, and I found In northeast area some people had been experienced the same sluggish download speed as I have.

These people said after verizon's ONT firmware update, they all having slow download speed. and they called technical support and tech guy sent some command and reboot thier ONT. and it was fixed.

So I called yesterday and explained the situation and asked for "hot fix". but she could nt understand the situation and kept saying wait and see.

she even said "hot fix is for Microsoft products."

humm... What shoud I do??

******************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

[northeast] Slow Downloads in Chester Springs, PA

They mentioned that they had to implement a "hot fix". That almost sounds like a software patch, is that what that means or something else. If we gave you the group ticket number, could you look it up and see what they did?

Message Edited by peterjun on 10-16-2008 06:15 PM
0 Likes
Re: Its been almost 2 Weeks...SLOW DL SPEED
Justin46
Legend

I don't think It is a "hot fix" that is being talked about. Rather, they are talking about just rebooting the ONT (the box where the fiber terminates and the signals are converted to electrical signals) fixing the problem. You can force the ONT to reboot by removing the electrical power to it - unplug it from the wall, and remove one or both of the battery connections, wait 30 seconds or so, and put it all back. If that doesn't fix it, then call the FSC and ask them to do a "hard reset" (I think that is the correct term) of the ONT. They can do that from the FSC, nobody has to come out to the house.

Of course it is possible that neither of the above fixes the problem. If so, call the FSC and ask nicely but firmly that they send a tech out. Or another option you can try if you want: go to www.dslreports.com, register (it is free), then go to the Verizon Direct forum and post your problem. That forum is specifically for users to interact with Verizon employees to get problems fixed, and no one but you and the Verizon techs can see what you post (but registration is required to use that forum). I used the Verizon Direct forum one time and was completely satisfied, they fixed my problem.

Hope this helps.

Justin
Verizon FiOS TV, Internet, and phone
IMG 1.5.0
Keller, TX

0 Likes
Telcoguru
Master - Level 1
Did you try running the Verizon Connection Wizard? http://verizon.com/connectionwizard/
0 Likes
Techman28
Master - Level 1
if you give me that group Ticket I would be more than happy to look at it and see if your being impacted.
0 Likes
surfer_00
Same exact problem on windows XP wired machine.  3 calls to technical support has not resolved.  See forum for recents posts and attempts to fix.  Connection wizard will not connect me to my router even.
0 Likes
surfer_00

Forgot to mention I am in the Harrisburg PA area.  Speed Test as of 6:00 am.

Last Result:
Download Speed: 2281 kbps (285.1 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 3175 kbps (396.9 KB/sec transfer rate)

This is consistent with the last 2 weeks of tests and is unacceptable for 20/5 service.

Fixes attempted thus far:  Router reset and reboot.  Router default settings reset.  Verizon optimizer ran multiple times.  Verizon connection wizard ran however each time it hangs on "connecting to router" and says a cable is unplugged.  Replaced communication cable, replaced network card.  Reset windows XP TCP thru netshell command.  Tech support took over thru remote access and checked all setting twice and found nothing.

Router is showing this windows XP Home network as a bridged connection and I am curious if that is right?  Coax cable into back of Actiontec router, ethernet cable to this XP CPU.  Not sure why this makes this CPU a bridged network.  Not able to change that setup.
0 Likes
peterjun

update still No Luck...

I called FIOS services center and asked for hard reset on my ONT and they did...no improvement.

they keep saying no problem in thier network...hummm...

I tried 100 full duplex setting change as one guy suggested...no change... 

During some research thru internet, One thing I found is that there are quite a number of people who have the same problem as I have. 

here is a link for messages. 

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r21284482-This-is-nutsFIOS-Internet-is-sloooooooow 

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r21283300-southeast-Whats-involved-in-switching-back

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r21208319-northeast-BIG-Drop-in-dl-speed   I

'm having the same problem. I think mine started early last week also.

I'm getting extremely horrible download speed, from only about 100kbps to 700kbps, on sites like microsoft.com, adobe.com, nvidia.com, giganews.com, ftp.netscape.com, etc. But my upload speed doesn't seem to be affected at all as is shown on speedtest.net. The download speed is so bad that even regular web browsing is somewhat affected.

FIOS tech support said it could be a hardware problem somewhere in the Verizon network and they'll try to pin point it and call me back in 48 hours. I'll call them tomorrow night if I don't hear from them.

The reason for him to say that is because while most places I'm getting horrible download speed, speedtest.net does show that I'm getting full 20Mbps down and 20Mbps up on a few of the testing servers. And while I was going to Trendnet.com to download drivers for my wireless usb adapter, I found that on »
downloads.trendnet.com/ I can download at full 2.2+Mbps like I use to be able to.

Hey njchoochoo, try downloading this file and see if you're getting full download speed like you had before.

»
downloads.trendnet.com/TV-IP422/···22_W.tgz

If you do, then we're basically having the same problem and I believe there should be more people out there with this.

0 Likes
peterjun

thanks everyone who tried to help me.

and

surfer00 ...why dont you try to download a file       ------->    downloads.trendnet.com/TV-IP422/···22_W.tgz

and if your speed is full 2.3 MBytes (about 20 mbps) then we are in the same boat.

Message Edited by peterjun on 10-18-2008 05:21 AM
0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

Here is an easy way to test your download speed by starting a file transer of a totally useless file. You can choose files of various sizes, start the download, let the speed settle down, then record it, and cancel the download (as I said the file is uneless, all you are using it for is to measure the speed):

1) Go to this site: ftp://ftp1.optonline.net/

2) Click on the file you want to download (I always use "test512", that way I can read the speed without ever finishing the download).

3) Click on Save.

4) Choose where to save it (doesn't matter, if you cancel the download before it finishes, it won't be saved anywhere anyway)

5) Let the speed settle down, then record it.

6) Cancel the download.

6) Convert the speed from mega-bytes/sec to megabits/sec by multiplying by 8.

7) That's all.

I have 15/2 service, I just ran a test, I got 1.84 megabytes/sec download, which is 14.72 megabits/sec (approximately).

This test seems to work very consistently, and you can let it run for as long as you like to see how steady the speed is, so give it a try.

Justin
Verizon FiOS TV, Internet, and phone
IMG 1.5.0
Keller, TX

0 Likes
pgeo

I am experiencing a similar drastic reduction in download speed from Verizon lately (I'm in MD, Baltimore/Columbia area). Started to notice it about a week ago (but could've started earlier) seeing that streaming videos (e.g. NBC shows) are very choppy lately.. So I checked my speeds today (I'm on a 15/2 plan) and they indicate something like 1.5/2 Mbps now ! This is not what I'm paying for!  Of course I rebooted my router, tried various speed tests (speakeasy.net, speedtest.verizon.net etc.) on different PCs and configurations (I have 3 multi-boot XP SP1, XP SP2 and Linux computers at home). My LAN speeds are not affected, so at this point I am pretty sure it's not my network/system configurations at fault here.. Haven't tried "rebooting the ONT" yet, but I have a feeling it wouldn't help.

As a bitter side note, I cannot use Verizon's support website to test my line and submit a trouble report.. Is that website broken or what?!? First, I login securely into My Verizon account but they cannot find my residential phone number associated to my Verizon account?!? (had to enter it myself so I can get to the support pages).This sounds retarted (I pay my Verizon bill through that account). And when I go through all the troubleshooting steps there ("line tests were not conclusive", thanks) and I finally get to press "Submit" to send my report to Verizon, I get the "We are sorry" page!.. Started all over again.. After a few minutes of filling in the same fields again, I get the same error page when I press submit (and my report History, when it doesn't error out, it doesn't show that my trouble report ever got through).. The irony is that even when I try to submit my "feedback" about these website errors in that little "Feedback" edit box on the right side, I get the same "We are sorry" error page (I am using IE7). Way to be helpful and get feedback from customers, Verizon.. 😞

Anyway, leaving the broken support website aside (should we?), are there any news about the OP's problem with the download speed reduction lately? I am a little scared that I may have to go through some clueless tech support guys on the phone.. So,  have you solved your download speed problem? If so, how?

0 Likes