Just got FiOS installed two days ago - Wifi won't stay connected
jap5c

We just switched over from Comcast two days ago to FiOS; we have TV, Phone, and Gigabit internet service through Verizon now.

One major issue we have is that many of the wireless devices in our house now seem to lose connection to the Wifi quite often, particularly our two iPhones and my wife's laptop. For instance, our bedroom upstairs never used to have any connection issues, but it's so bad that I can't even stream a show on Netflix using my phone, much less try to watch a show from the DVR using the FiOS mobile app in that room; the connection just keeps "spinning". Additionally, my wife's laptop just keeps connecting on and off, on and off.

I purchased a Netgear range extender in hopes that it would fix the "dead spots", but that seems to have the same issues, so i'm pinning this on the FiOS Quantum Gateway.

I know I can turn the Wifi off on the Quantum Gateway, but can I hook up my old router to the FiOS gateway and use the Wifi off that old router instead? Will that affect any of the other services in the house (TV, Phone, etc?)

At this point my wife is ready to cancel the whole deal, and is driving me nuts about why we keep having issues.

Any advice would be appreciated!

0 Likes
Re: Just got FiOS installed two days ago - Wifi won't stay connected
jonjones1
Legend

What you are wanting to do is put the old router into access point mode.

yes that should work.

after you make the connection you could go into the Quantum Router and turn off the wifi. Make sure the other router is wifi set on.

It is known that using an extender made for Fios (Verizon's own device) is a simple set up and usually has good coverage.

I would either do that or just buy a high end router and just use that with a Moca adapter if you want to use the guide for tv. The router is not necessary for phone service.

Good Luck

0 Likes
jap5c

Thank you for the response. I have done all of the steps you listed, except when i went to turn off the wif in the Quantum Router, it gave me the following message(so i left it on for now):

"Disabling the 5 GHz antenna will prevent you from connecting to any wireless Media Clients you may be using to access our FiOS TV service. You may also notice a slower connection to the Internet."

What exactly does that mean? Will I no longer be able to use television Set Top Boxes? or what about the FiOS Mobile app? I noticed when I tried to use the mobile app when connected to the wifi on the Access Point (not the Quantum Router) it is giving me the error message "We are unable to process your request. Please try again later. Error Code -1004".

Thank you.

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

@jap5c wrote:

Thank you for the response. I have done all of the steps you listed, except when i went to turn off the wif in the Quantum Router, it gave me the following message(so i left it on for now):

"Disabling the 5 GHz antenna will prevent you from connecting to any wireless Media Clients you may be using to access our FiOS TV service. You may also notice a slower connection to the Internet."

What exactly does that mean? Will I no longer be able to use television Set Top Boxes? or what about the FiOS Mobile app? I noticed when I tried to use the mobile app when connected to the wifi on the Access Point (not the Quantum Router) it is giving me the error message "We are unable to process your request. Please try again later. Error Code -1004".

Thank you.

Disregard the message and turn the fios gateways wifi off. Use the wifi from the router you placed into access point mode. You should be OK

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

Oops I forgot the rest of your reply.

The set Top Boxes either use the Quantum Router via coaxial or from an adapter if you were to use your own router.

I am not sure about the app. It is possible that the app may need to see Verizon credentials. However if like the cable tv app we used for many years, the functions it should not matter what router you use as long as you have your verizon logon credentials.

https://www.dslreports.com/faq/verizonfios

This link will take you to a faq that shows how to do different connections.

0 Likes