Just ordered Fios bundle and need clarification of what salesman said..
biikman
Enthusiast - Level 3

During the sales pitch, he stated that it was possible to stream netflix on demand from my PC to the TV, as well as send movies that are on the DVR to the computer, and can burn them to disk. is this correct? or was he pitching features that aren't possible. installation is not for a week and a half, so time to change my mind. Hope this is the right forum for this, if not please move, and my apologies 🙂

Tags (4)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Just ordered Fios bundle and need clarification of what salesman said..
prisaz
Legend

@biikman wrote:

During the sales pitch, he stated that it was possible to stream netflix on demand from my PC to the TV, as well as send movies that are on the DVR to the computer, and can burn them to disk. is this correct? or was he pitching features that aren't possible. installation is not for a week and a half, so time to change my mind. Hope this is the right forum for this, if not please move, and my apologies 🙂

1 You can play SOME types of video from your PC on the Verizon DVR, as well as music and pictures.

2 Copying from the DVR to the PC is not possible.

3. Netflix does not Stream from Netflix to the Verizon DVR, or from Netflix to PC then to DVR. But Verizon does have On Demand.

I know of no provider that can do all the things you have sugested. But Verizon FIOS rules in my book. I would say many sales people from any company my be just that, sales people. Good idea to check technical sources. But I would not cancel an install just because of file transfers.

With a TIVO HD unit purchased from TIVO, and a cable card obtained from Verizon, you can do as posted. But even with TIVO many programs are flagged do not copy, and show up with a lock on the TIVO software. I have transfered Shows and Specials from my TIVO to the PC and burned to disc, But they were programs that we not flagged as copy protected. Even with TIVO file transferes of HD or Regular content is slow. Almost at the same speed as when viewing the content. Remember the content is encrypted and it has to be decrypted during the file transfer.

PS. If anyone knows any different, please comment. Thanks.

View solution in original post

prisaz
Legend

@biikman wrote:

1 You can play SOME types of video from your PC on the Verizon DVR, as well as music and pictures.

3. Netflix does not Stream from Netflix to the Verizon DVR, or from Netflix to PC then to DVR. But Verizon does have On Demand.

I know of no provider that can do all the things you have sugested. But Verizon FIOS rules in my book. I would say many sales people from any company my be just that, sales people. Good idea to check technical sources. But I would not cancel an install just because of file transfers.

With a TIVO HD unit purchased from TIVO, and a cable card obtained from Verizon, you can do as posted. But even with TIVO many programs are flagged do not copy, and show up with a lock on the TIVO software. I have transfered Shows and Specials from my TIVO to the PC and burned to disc, But they were programs that we not flagged as copy protected. Even with TIVO file transferes of HD or Regular content is slow. Almost at the same speed as when viewing the content. Remember the content is encrypted and it has to be decrypted during the file transfer.

Arthurlw
Contributor - Level 1

@prisaz wrote:

@biikman wrote:

I can't comment on the Tivo thing, but the above sounds accurate to me.  But since additional comments are invited, I will share what I have been successful at doing with my Verizon setup. 

I have a coax cable coming from the coax-out fitting on the DVR that runs to my computer's video capture card, in this case Hauppauge.  http://www.hauppauge.com/index.htm

This way I am able to save programs I watch (or previously recorded via the DVR) onto the computer's hard drive, then onto DVD disc with the appropriate editing and burning software (in my case mpeg video wizard http://www.womble.com/products/mvw.html and Nero burning software).

As far as streaming from your 'puter to your TV, it may be a bit far fetched to assert you can do all that simply through an ethernet connection passing through the FIOS router.  Pretty neat trick if you could.  Smiley Tongue  Too bad you can't ask the guy how to go about it.  Smiley Wink  Normally you would need some sort of VGA cable from the 'puter to the TV to make it work as a monitor... or perhaps some sort of component or HDMI output from the PC's video card or similar add-on to one of the TV's HD inputs?

I'm not aware that Netflix streams anything to a PC.  I know they have the capability to feed some BD players and someone says he does it with his PS3.  This has been dealt with some in another thread:

http://forums.verizon.com/t5/FiOS-Internet/help-I-don-t-understand-wi-fi/m-p/156051#M11390

Enjoy your FIOS.  Usens do (for the most part).   Smiley Wink  LOL 

somegirl
Champion - Level 3

We currently have our xbox 360 hooked up to our tv and we stream Netflix that way. You can also hook up your computer to your tv with a cable. (I would suggest HDMI if you have the output and input for it.) This is especially easy if you have a laptop that can connect to the internet wirelessly.

prisaz
Legend

@somegirl wrote:

We currently have our xbox 360 hooked up to our tv and we stream Netflix that way. You can also hook up your computer to your tv with a cable. (I would suggest HDMI if you have the output and input for it.) This is especially easy if you have a laptop that can connect to the internet wirelessly.

I use my Tivo to stream Netflix, but also have a computer next to my TV hooked up VIA HDMI that allows me to view Bluray. I can watch the movies through the PC on the TV or via the Tivo. But yes both will work. Right now I have my Netflix account on hold, because most of the new releases are only new to Netflix. But I liked it for a about 6 months, then it got old. May or may not keep Netflix. I have an Amazon account where I can stream PPV movies if I don't feel like driving to the Redbox, or Redbox doesn't have it.

0 Likes