Keep losing connections
fetchfelix

I have FIOS for phone and the internet only, use it for Apple TV, Netflix PS4 etc. The majority of my internet activity is with this MacAir which is a couple of years old. Everything has been flawless for months but a couple of weeks ago I noticed my security cameras go offline and aren't working. Turing off the router for 30 secs fixes that.  Happening almost every couple of days now. 

Now this MacAir will suddenly stop connecting with the connection bar looking for a connection. If I go to connection screen there is check mark next to  the correct signal as though connected. 

But it says no IP address. Any other device in the room is still connected - another iMac and iPhones. Turning wifi off and on on MacAir makes no difference. Restarting the MacAir makes no difference. Restarting the router again by turning off and then back on works, and now it reconnects without issue. But this is now happening randomly, a couple of times a day? At first I thought it was my Wifi card going bad, but I dont see how restarting the Router would fix that?

Also there are 2 signals - a 5G and non 5G. I thought the 5G was mostlty for the iphones / ipads and non 5G for everything else? I had isssues before and I thought TS told me that and changed something that made my computers default to the non-5G. But now Im finding the MacAir and iMac default to the 5G again - but I find things faster with the non 5G , for the computers?

Any ideas?

Felix

0 Likes