Keeping my old wireless router
Abreisch

I purchased a wireless router a few months ago and use it with the comcast service i have now. I'm thinking about switching to FIOS but I want to keep this router since I just bought it. Can I keep it or do I have to switch to a Verizon router?

0 Likes
Re: Keeping my old wireless router
spacedebris
Master - Level 2

yes you can keep and continue to use it.  But how you use it depends on a couple of questions.

1. are you going to be getting Fios TV also or just internet?

2. what kind of router is it?

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

the verizon router must be in place if you have TV with verizon too.

Their Video On Demand, Program Guide and Widgets system all work through the internet,  and they are delivered over coax to a router that is MOCA.  their router that they give out is pretty much the only moca router out there, so it has to be there if you have TV with verizon. 

That does not mean that you can't use your router with it, it just means that you would have two routers working at the same time, which a lot of people do.   The easiest way to do it is to plug your routers wan port into a lan port and make sure your default ip address for your personal router is anything other than 192.168.1.1,    so your personal router should be 192.168.2.1, or 3.1, or 4.1, anything but 1.1   or here are some advanced configurations if you're a DIY kinda guy.

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/verizonfios/3.0_Networking

Abreisch

Yes I will be getting TV. The router is a Linksys wireless-N router model WRT310N

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

do it the way I described in my reply,    basically hook into the linksys, and put 192.168.1.1 - put your username and password and get in.  change the network ip address to be 192.168.2.1, and hit save. 

when the fios is installed, just hook an ethernet cable from your wan port on your linksys, to any of the numbered lan ports on the fios router (1,2,3 or 4) and it will work without any problems.

or if you want an advanced set up beyond that, then take a look at the link for advanced set up's.

your router page will look like this

http://ui.linksys.com/files/WRT310N/2.0.00/index.htm