Kindle Fire HD problems with Verizon FIOS
censustaker

This has happened to me several times now and Amazon has even shipped me two replacement kindles to resolve the problem which I have no deteremined is the fault of Verizon FIOS and not Amazon. 

The problem: The Kindle Fires will not download books or stream/download purchased movies from Amazon but will instead hang and then timeout. 

I was able to obtain a debug log from the kindle fire and it is full of messages like this:

amazon_main5:05-22 22:12:46.412  3846  4259 E AmazonVideo.service: EXCEPTION: Making request to https://atv-ext.amazon.com/cdp/library/GetLibrary?firmware=fmw:15-app:1.0.3089.1-ATVAndroidTateClien... java.net.SocketTimeoutException: Read timed out

however, I am able to make these same requests from any other machine and they proceed fine:

macbook$ curl 'https://atv-ext.amazon.com/cdp/library/GetLibrary?firmware=fmw:15-app:1.0.3089.1-ATVAndroidTateClien...

Response:

{"message":{"statusCode":"ERROR","timestamp":1400857908,"body":{"code":"CDP.InvalidRequest.MissingRequiredParameter","message":"Could not retrieve client information from request."}},"signature":"m6OJiOF4oB/X+90WykVPk5CA9p0PZlUKgfR6JlkLmhvqQfRenTgN0xuvYS78C3XM5eGdAV/VBZWIzhz69Ko920shu3/O80XlJrPig3HmMgXoFzNMOAMQTeGNiTwrRkhl6AZmZtix0o3EcvpoBcLyhSJiza5GWc8shJ8a6VfzlfM="}

I have no idea why this is happening JUST FROM THE KINDLE FIRE. Our iPhones, iPad and Rokus have no issue streaming from amazon and i've sent hours on the phone with amazon who are correctly pointing out that this is an issue with Verizon FIOS, most likely with the junky actiontec router. 

Need more proof? Connecting the kindles to the hotspot on my cell phone or using any other wi-fi network allows streaming and the downloading of books.

0 Likes
Re: Kindle Fire HD problems with Verizon FIOS
PJL
Master - Level 3

You say "I have no idea why this is happening JUST FROM THE KINDLE FIRE. Our iPhones, iPad and Rokus have no issue streaming from amazon and i've sent hours on the phone with amazon who are correctly pointing out that this is an issue with Verizon FIOS, most likely with the junky actiontec router."  And then you blame the Verizon router for the issue even though you say other devices are working fine.

It's an issue of how the javascript executes on the Kindle, per the log entry you post.  That has nothing to do with the router but indicates that the Kindle is failing to properly execute the java call and interact with the server.

Try forgetting and then re-establishing the Kindle Wifi connections to the router.  If that doesn't work, if you've changed the default settings of your router, try doing a factory reset of it.  If you can do a factory reset of your Kindle, try performing that also. 

You problem is likely not widespread as there are no complaints like this on the various forums I monitor that cover issues with FiOS Internet.  My neighbor (who has a Kindle Fire and FiOS Internet) has no issue like yours.

censustaker

It's quite bizarre that just one class of device would receive socket timeouts reaching a certain class of hosts only on this network. They have no issue on other wifi networks. 

0 Likes
CaptainSTX
Contributor - Level 3

Try what the previous poster recommended.

I have no problems with my Kindles or previous  generation Kindles.   I have a  Kindle Fire and I never have any problems connecting.

Hubrisnxs
Legend

FWIW I have a kindle that works flawlessly on FiOS. I have two, one that is rooted and one that isn't.  Both are fine. 

Since other devices are connecting fine to do the same thing behind the actiontec, I tend to agree with PJL.  

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@censustaker wrote:

It's quite bizarre that just one class of device would receive socket timeouts reaching a certain class of hosts only on this network. They have no issue on other wifi networks. 

Possibly something to do with your AV setup, Nic setup or connection setup.

Try what the previous poster said about dropping and re-establishing the connection.

I and many other have no issue with the ckindle connection on Fios

0 Likes