Kohler Electric Generator Oncue issues
bdegnan

I have Verizon FIOS (TV, Internet) with an Actiontec router.  I also have an Kohler generator with Oncue software.  Oncue allows remote access to monitor and control the generator. Oncue is an application that runs on a PC.

The issue I am having is the generator seems to be able to send emails (i.e. outbound) but Oncue cannot connect to the generator.  This is despite the fact that the generator passes the router connectivity test.  Oncue is also able to connect to the Kohler Oncue server.  It seems like the router will not allow an inbound connection to the generator's controller.  This is the case with software firewall (McAfee) turned off and Actiontec security set to lowest setting.  Required ports are forwarded properly.  Verizon tech guy confirmed this.

Kohler says the issue is the Actiontec router and that other Kohler customers have resolved the issue by replacing the router with a Netgear router.  This requires the other router to be in front of the Actiontec I believe.

I am looking for someone that has FIOS and a Kohler generator with Oncue who has gotten Oncue to work.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

0 Likes
Re: Kohler Electric Generator Oncue issues
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

Double check the documention for Oncue.

Almost all routers default to blocking incoming connections.  Most software is aware of this and many actually do outgoing communication to some site instead. 

Your doc probably either mentions using UPnP to configure or gives you some ports to forward.   UPnP will work as long as you check and make sure that UPnP is still enabled (the default for actiontec.  If you need to manual configure look for some Verizon's help pages, or search this forum for detailed help.

On a few routers they have hidden UpNP.  For all  actiontec routers you should be able to use UPnP  Menu after first logging on to the router

http://192.168.1.1/index.cgi?active%5fpage=900

0 Likes
Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

You've left out some important information.

• How is the generator connected to the router (wired or wireless)?
  • How is the PC connected to the router?
  • What hardware revision of the Actiontec do you have (A-I)?

Is the generator able to obtain a DHCP lease?  i.e.  Can you see it on the router's main status page?

Can you ping the generator from the PC?

0 Likes
bdegnan

You've left out some important information.

• How is the generator connected to the router (wired or wireless)?  It is wired with CAT5 and we get a good signal.
  • How is the PC connected to the router? Wifi.  I am able to access my webcam remotely over the internet.
  • What hardware revision of the Actiontec do you have (A-I)?MI424WR-GEN31

Is the generator able to obtain a DHCP lease? Yes.  Router recognizes it with DHCP lease.

i.e. Can you see it on the router's main status page? Yes

Can you ping the generator from the PC? Yes

0 Likes
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

One quick thing to check since you have things on wired and wireless is that you have turned off IGMP proxy.

I believe its hidden on your router so you may have to use the hidden menu page

From an earlier post of mine

"This sounds like the problem that occurs when you have IGMP Proxy set to yes.

Logon to your router.

Look at advanced options and see if you see IGMP Proxy. If you do click on it and check that IGMP Proxy is disabled.

Note on some of the newer routers they, at least temporarily, have screwed up the options and IGMP Proxy is not shown under advanced options. For these you can use a jump, which will get you to the now hidden page to turn off IGMP Proxy.

Originally posted by BIGDADDY on DSL REPORTS this jump to gets you to the IGMP proxy page. Many have had success when they turned off IGMP proxy.

http://192.168.1.1/index.cgi?active_page=6059  "

0 Likes
bdegnan

Thank you.  I will try that and report back.

0 Likes
PCMacTechnician

I am having  avery similar issue on 2 Generator installs with 2 Fios Actionteks - the weird thing is , the company I work for installs these all week long, same generator, and plenty of fios customers. 

This issue - the only thing unique is that the fios customers have an Ethernet connection from their ONT to their Actiontec, and and we are not having this issue with clients connected via COAX. 

I have played with all of the port forwarding, I have been in contact with both verizon and our Kohler support rep.  Just today I tried IGMP proxy disable - and it was not helpful at all. 

Our specific sympton is that we can not add the generator to OnCue, during "Reading Initial Configuration" I get a device disconnected, and it kicks the generator off the network, it then takes about 40 seconds for the generator to reconnect to the fios router and then it starts over again.

Would be very grateful if anyone else finds a solution to this problem.

0 Likes
jking519

I too am having trouble with OnCue connectivity and I also have FIOS.  When I first installed OnCue, everything connected and appeared to be working fine (or so I thought).  After a few days, it stopped connecting and OnCue says the "device is not connected...".  Occasionally, I get lucky and it connects but about after 30 seconds, it drops the connection.  I have verified the Generator status display shows "Connected"  when I am able to connect and and then it shows "Disconnected".  I've tried multiple network cables and don't know what else to do. 

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,
Joe

0 Likes
bdegnan

I started this thread and am a bit relieved to see that others are having this issue and it is not just somthing that I have overlooked. 

Kohler is saying the Actiontec router is the issue and that at least one other FIOS user resolved the OnCue connectivity issue by replacing the Actiontec router with a NetGear 600 router.  To do this, I would need to place the NetGear router in front of the Actiontec, connect cat5 from the generator to the NetGear router and then connect the Actiontec router to the NetGear router.  I have seen some guidance on the internet regarding the specifics of how this is done.  I will post URLs to this information in the next day or so and report any progress that I am seeing.  Would like to know if anyone has tried this approach.

I will also ask Kohler for any specfics they can provide regarding OnCue customers who overcame this issue.  It is ridiculous to me that people have to struggle with this without much support and apparently need to reinvent the wheel over and over again.

0 Likes
Re: Koehler Electric Generator Oncue issues
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

Since you have FiOS TV, you have a coax connection to the ONT.  Verizon won't enable Ethernet for the WAN if you have TV service. The Actiontec router connects to the WAN over coax using MoCA.  It also creates a MoCA LAN for the set-top boxes.  It's difficult to replace the Actiontec router, as it really needs to be at the center of your network.

There is hardware out there that will bridge MoCA to Ethernet, however you'll be creating a setup that isn't supported by Verizon.  There are posts here and on other sites that describe this setup.  Note that Verizon won't support such a setup.

From the outside looking in, it looks like to me that Kohler assumes a completely open connection to the internet.  This is a bad assumption and I think this is their fault.  It may have to do with the back-end software they are running on their web site.  If so, it's unlikely to change until they are willing to spend (a lot) more money to fix it.

One last thought; have you tried setting the generator as a DMZ host?

Good Luck.

0 Likes