WPA2 Security
ddesportes

I would like to know what is being done to correct the Krack vulnerabilities in the WPA2 wireless on my FIOS-G1100 home router.

0 Likes
Router and access point for WPA KRACK vulnerability
RobWelbourn

1.  Are the FiOS-G1100 router and Actiontec WCB6200Q access point vulnerable to the KRACK WPA attack?

2. If so, is a patched version of the firmware available?  If not available, then when?

3. Is manual intervention required to download the firmware, or will Verizon update it automatically?

0 Likes
Re: Router and access point for WPA KRACK vulnerability
jonjones1
Legend

@RobWelbourn wrote:

1.  Are the FiOS-G1100 router and Actiontec WCB6200Q access point vulnerable to the KRACK WPA attack?

2. If so, is a patched version of the firmware available?  If not available, then when?

3. Is manual intervention required to download the firmware, or will Verizon update it automatically?

If it is needed it comes automatically from Verizon

0 Likes
Krack
HF6

I am hoping to patch my wireless router to protect against the Krack WIFI/WP2 vulnerability, but not having much luck. I've gone into my router (Verizon/Actiontec MI424WR) and had it check for firmware updates, but it comes back with an even older version (which seems odd). Text support can't deal with anything this technical. They pushed me off to "Expert Care" which seems more interested in selling me a plan.

I just want to know if a patch is coming. I understand some router companies already have them. Actiontec says this:

https://actiontecsupport.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/115005205283-KRACK-vulnerability

"f your Wi-Fi router or network extender was provided by your service provider, the firmware updates for those devices will be pushed from your provider to your device without any action required on your behalf. "

So, how do I get the patch? When will Verizon be pushing it? I can't even see if one is coming for this device.

0 Likes
Re: Krack
jonjones1
Legend

I think your answer was in your post:

"f your Wi-Fi router or network extender was provided by your service provider, the firmware updates for those devices will be pushed from your provider to your device without any action required on your behalf. "

So, how do I get the patch? When will Verizon be pushing it? I can't even see if one is coming for this device.

Verizon will push it out if and when it is necessary.

0 Likes
Re: WPA2 Security
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Articles earlier in this thread have stated the vulnerability is on the client side not the router. So probably won't see an update (IMHO). Or at least something quick.

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

The vulnerability is on the client side not the router.

0 Likes
HF6

Jon, your faith in Verizon's ability to pro-actively protect us is _so_ much greater than mine.

0 Likes
Re: WPA2 Security
agent0071
Enthusiast - Level 2

The resolution is literally changing the protocol for WPA2 encryption. At the very least, Verizon could state that they will not be updating any of their devices to meet the latest standards.

I don't care if Verizon isn't quick. I care that they get it done properly. As of right now, they have yet to even acknowledge it though.

0 Likes
Re: Krack Attack WPA2 vulnerability
DavidK11

I just chatted with Verizon help about the WPA2 KRACK vulnerability, and the representative informed me that my "routers are not vulnerable".  When I asked whether they were never vulnerable or did Verizon already patch them, the representative replied "They were not vulnerable to the KRACK exploit".  I then expressed my surprise saying I read that almost all devices that support WPA2 are vulnerable, and the representative replied with "We have checked and everything appears to be perfect and safe".  I then further inquired whether all Verizon routers (all makes and models) are not vulnerable, or only my 2 Actiontec routers, and the representative replied with "All Verizon routers are not vulnerable."

So I said Wow that's really amazing, and I asked why hasn't Verizon made a public statement to that effect since I'm sure Verizon has many anxious customers who would appreciate a public statement, and the representative replied that he would put the point forward to do so and pass on the message to the concerned teams.

So there you have it.  This representative seemed pretty sure of himself/herself.  I have snapshots of the entire chat.

Verizon, please make a public statement!

0 Likes