Re: Router Firmware Update for KRACK Vulnerability
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

Official word from Actiontec on its routers.

"DATED 10/24/2017

Actiontec is aware of the industry-wide KRACK vulnerability affecting Wi-Fi Protected Access protocol standards (i.e. WPA/WPA2).

Our customers are our highest priority, and our goal is to provide you with timely information to ensure that your home network is as safe as possible.

If your Wi-Fi router or network extender was provided by your service provider (i.e. Bell Canada, CenturyLink, Cox, Dish, Google, Frontier, MTS, SaskTel, TDS, Telus, Verizon, Windstream), it is not affected by the KRACK vulnerability, and no firmware update is required. These products do not operate in repeater mode and do not have 802.11r FT enabled."

Re: Krack Attack WPA2 vulnerability
micheal154
Enthusiast - Level 2

sounds like **bleep** to me...

but ok...

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

@micheal154 wrote:

sounds like **bleep** to me...

but ok...

It is amazing some folks just can’t handle the truth. There is no conspiracy to not update firmware. But if it isn’t broke you don’t fix it. ☃️

0 Likes
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

As identified in the detailed doc on Krack only a few functions on routers have the exposure.  And most of the basic routers out there don't support them.

On the other hand your devices that aren't patched are more vulnerable.  More of that on Verizon Wireless.  E.g. My Verizon Samsun Galaxy S7 edge was just updated earlier this Month.  Not sure if any of Verizon Residential products connect to router using WPA2, but if so those are the ones that are vulnerable.

The whole thing about Krack is it tries to fake out a device asking for a WPA/WPA2 connection and insert inself in your network between your device and your router.

0 Likes
Bixbyte
Contributor - Level 1

SO EAZY to KRACK Verizon.

I hear 'they' is getting ready to sell a totally different newer Router.

I visited this website that checks your security and I am not able to post their link but you can private email me and maybe VZ will allow me to post their link?

Verizon's job is to protect your privacy as they claim.

There is one issue that really has me worried. 

The privacy website shows me publically listed as 

(MY ISP NUMBER) (MY CITY) (MY STATE) (at FIOS)

And the security firm claims that is totally legal.

THEN I asked them for what info can be harvested off me on the net.

They gave me my bank account name and my unique MAC Address that the 

bank uses just for my presonal bank account.

And there is lots of other info that is available since they know my ISP and my location and that I am a FIOS customer. 

The only way I can imagine getting rid of people that are trying to mine your private information is to beg your internet company to change your ISP or close your account and open a new internet with the same or a different provider???? 

0 Likes
Re: WPA2 Hack
Bixbyte
Contributor - Level 1

Turn OFF your Universal Plug and Play, turn off Ping, and use a good Firewall.

And they can still KRACK Your Router but it will help. 

0 Likes
FireFish1
Enthusiast - Level 2

@jonjones wrote:

1-800-VERIZON

they are the only ones that can tell you.

this is a customer to customer forum.

translation: NO

0 Likes