Laptop can't connect to 2.4 GHz network
RoRonine11

I recently re-installed Windows 10 after replacing a hard drive. Since the install, the computer no longer connects to the 2.4 GHz network, but will connect to the 5 GHz network. The 5 GHz network has a considerably smaller range. 

The WiFi card in the computer is up to date is reported to be functioning normally. I have tried the following:

Uninstall and reinstall the WiFi card

Cleared the DNS cache

Power cycle the router

Reset the router

Reset the computer to factory settings

Attempted to match the WiFi card settings to the router settings (as best I could to my limited ability)

Everything on the computer has been updated since the Windows install. Every other device in the house is still connected to the 2.4 GHz network without interruption. 

Computer: HP Envy x360

WiFi card: Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 7265

Router: Verizon Quantum 

0 Likes
Re: Laptop can't connect to 2.4 GHz network
jonjones1
Legend

Did you turn off SON (self organizing network) ?

make sure that’s it is off.

and go into your wifi settings on the HP find the network and say forget network or remove. Then restart your laptop. Then click on available networks and see if the 2.4 Ghz is now showing. If it is connect to it.

0 Likes
RoRonine11

Thanks for your reply jonjones. The SON is off. Sorry if I wasn’t clear before, but the 2.4 GHz network does show up as an available network. When I select it and enter the password, it says “can’t connect to this  network”.

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

@RoRonine11 wrote:

Thanks for your reply jonjones. The SON is off. Sorry if I wasn’t clear before, but the 2.4 GHz network does show up as an available network. When I select it and enter the password, it says “can’t connect to this  network”.

You are or not using MAC Address filtering?

As well as if you are, this comes to mind how someone in another thread solved their issue.

REF post 5 of dual band on G3100 - only connects at 2.4GHz 

@jizaref1 wrote:

I copied the MAC address of my device that was having a difficult 2.4 connection and pasted it into my restricted access section of the 2.4 network. I still have SON on but since that device is blocked it can only connect at 5 and is much more stable now.

0 Likes