Laptop won't connect to Internet through 1 FIOS router (but no problems elsewhere)
EShott
Enthusiast - Level 2

My work laptop (Dell Latitude 5510) running Windows 7 connects wirelessly to my home FIOS router with a strong signal, but won't connect to the internet.  I have a number of other devices that connect wirelessly through the router to the internet without an issue.  My work laptop connects without an issue on other wireless networks (including FIOS).  The security key I am using is correct. 

I have replaced the router, had Verizon phone support working on it for more than an hour and even had an on-site tech come out, all without success.  Any suggestions???

Re: Laptop won't connect to Internet through 1 FIOS router (but no problems elsewhere)
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Is the Dell reporting that it has a correct IP address? It should be a 192.168.1.* address, and not a 169.254.*.* address. Also make sure the same PC is showing the correct default Gateway of 192.168.1.1 and has the same IP address listed for DNS OR DNS servers are defined. You can find this information out by viewing the Connection Status in the Networking and Sharing Center, or you can open up command prompt (if it has not been blocked) and run ipconfig /all . If looking for the information through command prompt, you need to locate the name of your wireless adapter in the read-out.

0 Likes
Re: Laptop won't connect to Internet through 1 FIOS router (but no problems elsewhere)
EShott
Enthusiast - Level 2

The Dell is reporting 192.168.1.2 and 192.168.1.1 for the Gateway and the DHCP & DNS Server.  It also shows 72.252.0.12 as one of the DNS servers. 

This is an x64 machine - could that cause any issues?

dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

@EShott wrote:

The Dell is reporting 192.168.1.2 and 192.168.1.1 for the Gateway and the DHCP & DNS Server.  It also shows 72.252.0.12 as one of the DNS servers. 

Your computer should only report one Default Gateway. The fact that there are two, sounds weird.

Please check if you have another RJ-45 WAN port NAT router. For example a Linksys WRT54G.

0 Likes
tns
Master - Level 2

@dslr595148 wrote:

@EShott wrote:

Your computer should only report one Default Gateway. The fact that there are two, sounds weird.

Please check if you have another RJ-45 WAN port NAT router. For example a Linksys WRT54G.

I don't hink EShott meant two gateways.  Just that his box was assigned 192.168.1.2, and 192.168.1.1 was his gateway and primary DNS server.  All of that sounds normal.

EShott,

X64 is not a problem.  Did you try running the windows troubleshooter for the connection.  What, if any, firewall software are you running.   You might  also try powering off and powering on the Verizon router.

EShott
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have tried the network troubleshooter (a number of times) and also powering off and on the router.  This computer can get to and recognizes the router, but it can't get to the internet.  All of the other devices don't have any problem and this computer doesn't have any problems on other wireless connections (including FIOS). 

I'm using the Windows firewall.

EShott
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have no problem connecting to the internet if I am hardwired to the router...

alpal123490

Did you ever find a solution to this problem? Im having the same problem and can't figure out how to fix it.

0 Likes
Can't physically connect 1 computer wirelesly to my new FIOS router
Subrata1

Can't physically connect my 1 computer wirelesly to my new FIOS router (but no problems with other computers)

0 Likes
Re: Can't physically connect 1 computer wirelesly to my new FIOS router
gandalf1369
Enthusiast - Level 2

I would try changing the "Wireless Mode" on the "Advanced Security Settings" page from Compatability Mode to Legacy Mode as a test.  All this does is to eliminate 802.11N and force the router to use 802.11B/G.

If this works then look into changing either the settings on your laptop or maybe changing the wireless adapter that your laptop is using.  You probably don't want to leave it at this setting permanently since it will slow down any 802.11N devices that you have on your network, but at least it will give you a starting point.